Need help with buffer!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with buffer!!!

I have a carbine length buffer tube and spring along with standard buffer. What buffer do I use for a rifle length gas system. I hav a 24" bull barrel. I plan on putting on a JT adjustable gas block, will this affect what buffer I need to get. I hear talk about the H2 & H3 buffer which one would be best. Will mainly be shooting WOLF gold 120grn

Provided that you have a full weight (M-16) bolt carrier, and given your adjustable block, I suspect a standard (carbine) buffer would be the best place to start. But, I just picked up a JP Enterprises Captured Spring buffer and MAN O' MAN does it shoot smooth now. No more cheese-grater rattle on my right cheekbone. I liked it so much I bought a second one.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-29-2012, 03:26 AM.

Comment

One of the biggest factors in your gas system and recoil system will be the dwell time from a 24" with rifle-length gas. Since you are using a carbine extension tube, I strongly recommend that you use an H2 or H3 buffer, along with the M16 bolt carrier. A carbine 2.9 oz. buffer might work fine for you, but I'm guessing it will not provide enough mass to resist the gas impulse on the bolt carrier from the 24" RLGS dwell time behind even a 120gr bullet.

If you see belts at the back of your cases after firing, you will know that you need a heavier operating parts mass to counteract the gas.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        One of the biggest factors in your gas system and recoil system will be the dwell time from a 24" with rifle-length gas. Since you are using a carbine extension tube, I strongly recommend that you use an H2 or H3 buffer, along with the M16 bolt carrier. A carbine 2.9 oz. buffer might work fine for you, but I'm guessing it will not provide enough mass to resist the gas impulse on the bolt carrier from the 24" RLGS dwell time behind even a 120gr bullet.

If you see belts at the back of your cases after firing, you will know that you need a heavier operating parts mass to counteract the gas.

The gun is not yet fully assembled I do not have the bolt carrier yet I can't find a M16 carrier. I am trying to buy parts that are known to work together for these guns. I think iam going to order the spikes st-t2 buffer and see how that works. I just don't want o buying parts and none of them work.

Comment

I am assuming the adjustable gas block and heavy buffer will play together even with a standard .556 bolt carrier.

Comment

Here is one of my H2 buffers compared with a rifle-length system:

I just checked Brownell's and they have M16 carriers in-stock, stripped. You'll need to get a chrome-lined carrier key, and your other small parts for the BCG as well, like firing pin, FP retaining pin, and bolt cam pin. The carrier key needs to be installed with a high-temp sealant, using Grade 8 fasteners torqued to 35-40 inch pounds, and compression staked.

Comment

Originally posted by DIESEL758 View Post
              The gun is not yet fully assembled I do not have the bolt carrier yet I can't find a M16 carrier. I am trying to buy parts that are known to work together for these guns. I think iam going to order the spikes st-t2 buffer and see how that works. I just don't want o buying parts and none of them work.

Look around Gunbroker for others, I just grabbed the first one I saw.

Comment

If I change to a magpul prs stock do I need to change that buffer to??????? Do I also still need the m16 carrier??????

Comment

If I change to a magpul prs stock do I need to change that buffer to??????? Do I also still need the m16 carrier??????
                  The Magpul website says: "Mounts to rifle-length receiver extension tube without A2 spacer (not included)." That tells me you'll need the appropriate (fixed stock) receiver extension tube and buffer group. Go with the same M-16 bolt carrier either way.

Comment

Try a PWS DI bolt carrier. It's the only I could find in stock recently. It is heavier (9.9oz.) than the M16 carrier (9.5 oz.). You cannot use it with the JP captive spring. The guide rod on it will bind up in the narrower-than-standard PWS carrier. I found out the hard way.
                    Last edited by Guest; 10-02-2012, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X