X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • libertyman777

Weight and balance questions?

Hey,

I have a RRA lower with an A2 stock, buffer and tube. Based on recommendations here, I'm going to order through AA for my barrel and bolt.

I would like to keep the weight and balance similar to that of an HBAR A2/A4 5.56 rifle. It doesn't have to be exact per se but it would be nice to keep it close.

What would your recommendations be on a barrel from what AA has to offer? If what is recommended is one of their "lite" barrels, what will I be giving up besides weight. There looks to be just over .75" OD difference in the profiles.

Also, I noticed that AA sells gas blocks that seem to be especially for 6.5 Grendel. Is this the case?

Finally, I don't feel like I need a fancy handguard but would like a lite one. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul,
    I find it curious that you would choose the A2 to replicate. That is the rifle that I shoot in the national matches, actually I have both an A2 and an A4, but they weigh nothing like an issued one. Mine weigh 17.5 lbs because I add lead weights to both the hand guard, called cuff weights and a lead wedge that fills the stock compartment. Not everyone does this but most add some weight if nothing else just to balance the rifle for off hand use. The additional weight also helps by giving more time to aim during the rapid fire strings because recoil recovery is faster.

My hunting rifles are the exact opposite, as light as possible. Here my primary concerns are for ease of cary and maneuverability. I can shoot any weight rifle with more than adequate accuracy for hunting big game. The reason I say this is that it is a piece of cake to hit the vitals of a big game animal with an improvised rest at 200 yards or less, and if it is further than that I'm going prone with a bipod if possible, in which case weight plays little importance.
    If you are tying to match the weight of an A2 HBAR so that it is familiar to you, like another rifle you use regularly, then here is what I would suggest. I would go with a light contour barrel and your choice of hand guards. Add wheel weight tape strips to the inside of the hand guard to match the weight and balance you prefer. Hogue makes a cheap handguard that lends itself to this type of treatment and has a rubber overmold that makes handling in cold weather more pleasant.
    Any gas block will work as long as it is the correct diameter. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/115...d-ar-15-rubber
    Bob

Comment

• libertyman777

Hey Bob,

I guess I should have said that I wanted a build that was no heavier than the A2/A4 but I'm more concerned with balance. Specifically a neutral balance or just slightly nose heavy. My A2 time was pre-ACOG so I have no experience with scoped AR's except for my son's carbine with a low power Vortex Viper. His rifle has the adjustable CAR stock and a 16" M4ish barrel. It's very handy. I don't mind a little more weight and a little more rifle but I do want reliability and it's my understanding the the A2 buffer/spring and tube length provide better reliability in the Grendel with rifle length gas systems.

So, if my understanding is correct (and it may not be), then I believe I should look at 18"-20" barrels with rifle length gas systems. So you think that the balance will be somewhere between the heavy profile and lite profile that AA is producing?

I can't imagine a shot farther than 400 yards in the field with the majority being 100 yards or less. But we will soon have a range with 1000 yard opportunities and it would be fun to shot that with the Grendel.

Comment

• RangerRick

Hi Paul,

If you go with more than an 18-20 inch barrel it will be nose heavy with a standard stock. If you want to go to 24 inches you can use a stock like the Magpul PRS to balance it a little better, but that ups the weight along with the extra weight of the barrel.

If you want to go out to 1,000 you'll need rings or a scope mount with at least 10 MOA down angle. I shoot a 20 inch barrel at 1,000 with the LaRue LT-158 with 10 MOA down angle and a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 FFP and I'm 4 clicks from max elevation.

It IS fun shooting at 1,000 with the Grendel!

Depending on your scope and its elevation adjustment range you may need 20 MOA.

12-16x is fine for shooting 1,000 yards, but the higher magnification is nice for spotting at shorter ranges.

Let us know what you build and how it shoots.

RR

Comment

Working...
        X