Finally have my Grendel put together (well, mostly)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally have my Grendel put together (well, mostly)

I had Precision Firearms put the upper together for me but it wasn't a standard configuration so it took a fair amount of time to get in.

24" Fluted Lilja barrel
    ASA side charging, non-reciprocating upper receiver
    POF milled lower
    Timney trigger
    Magpul PRS stock

Now I just have two things left to do with it. I plan on having the rifle Cerekoted, and put optics on it. So far I have really struggled on optics but it seems that the overwhelming cry is Vortex for the Grendel, but I am really skeptical of Vortex. So it may be a long time before I choose the right optic...

I have been crazy busy with work and am unsure when I will finally get time to take it to the range and break the barrel in. Hopefully sooner rather than later. The frustrating part of the whole thing is finding brass locally, I think I will be doomed to ordering online

Compliments to Mark of Precision Firearms. The upper really looks good, and he was a nice guy to deal with. I look forward to seeing how this thing performs and will post updated pics once I get it Cerekoted / scoped.
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Bax,

Mark does GREAT work!

I have Nightforces on 2 of my rifles, including my 28" Grendel. The Vortex scopes in the Viper PST line I have looked at compare very favorably with my Nightforces and in some ways exceed them. The glass is very comparable. The Glass in the Razor line might even be superior.

They have a no BS replacement guarantee that is the best in the business.

One of our students at Boomershoot broke his Vortex by dropping it and having the rifle land on it two days before he was due to leave for Boomershoot. He call Vortex hoping to buy one and have it overnighted to him. They told him that the scope would be replaced under warrantee, and shipped it to his hotel at Boomershoot so it was available when he arrived.

Service doesn't get better than that!

I have NO reservations about recommending either Vortex or Nightforce scopes.

Comment

Nice fire stick you have coming together there. I only purchased Leupold, USO, NightForce and used scopes like the Hensoldt and S&B before hearing about Vortex on the BenchRest forums.

I have since purchased 3 Vortex Vipers...a 6.5-20x44 Mildot, 2.5-10x44 Viper PST MRAD, and 5-15x44 Viper HS Tactical Midway exclusive. I like the Viper PST the most, and will have a 4-16x50 MRAD in the future.

One of my fellow instructors at BoomerShoot is on Savage's US F-Class Team. He was using NightForce before, but had a Vortex Razor HD this year on his Savage 6.5 Creedmoor laser gun.

I have to say that for the money, you can't go wrong with a Vortex. If I'm going to spend over $2000 on rifle optics, I'm going to go all the way and get $4200 optics, with all their headaches for customer service when the Side Focus dies, which I have experienced with S&B.

Comment

I have the same upper from Mark just no fluted barrel, your gonna love how it shoots, I did follow the break-in procedure to the letter
        That's with 120 Wolf Gold, still working up a reload

2012-08-29_21-58-59_957[1].jpg2012-09-28_10-06-23_994.jpg

Comment

Working...
        X