• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cbe1962
    Warrior
    • Sep 2012

Barrel & gas system questions

I joined the Horde a couple of months ago and have picked up a great deal of information in that time. I have begun an AR build (see below) and have a couple of questions.

Lower receiverUpper receiver
    Last edited by cbe1962; 11-06-2012, 02:57 AM.

What are your accuracy requirements, and at what distances?

Comment

• leopard6.5

To add to LRRPF52's questions- What will it be used for primarily or percentage mix? for example- 80% hunting, 10% competition, 10% target

Thanks

Lee

Comment

• cbe1962
        Warrior
        • Sep 2012

I am a recreational target shooter, no competition yet, but not ruling it out in the future. 200-400 yards would be typical distances, but I do have a 1000 yard range within reasonable driving distance of my home. Accuracy requirements - I am hoping for sub-MOA. I have a bolt action .223 that I can shoot just a little over 1 MOA at 200. I am sure with more practice (do we ever get enough) I can get sub-MOA with it.

I will be primarily shooting handloads.

Comment

• cbe1962
          Warrior
          • Sep 2012

Sorry, mis-read the twist on the Shilen Barrel, it is 1-in-9. (Corrected in original)

And I don't expect sub-MOA until I replace the stock trigger.

Comment

• Harvest123

Originally posted by cbe1962 View Post
            Sorry, mis-read the twist on the Shilen Barrel, it is 1-in-9. (Corrected in original)

And I don't expect sub-MOA until I replace the stock trigger.
            I have Geissele' on all of mine - except one McCormick that is great. All and any upgrades on your trigger will lend accuracy to your shooting. You do not have to spend $300, but I would get a trigger job or look around the forums for a nice trigger.

Comment

• cbe1962
              Warrior
              • Sep 2012

Thanks for the advice & encouragement. I have already planned a trigger job on the stock trigger and low force trigger and disconnect springs are installed already.

Comment

• cbe1962
                Warrior
                • Sep 2012

So it seems like everything is boiling down to match-grade Shilen vs match-grade Satern and will a shooter of my caliber see a difference in performance at 400 yards?

Any thoughts?

Comment

• cbe1962
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2012

Thanks for the help here and on other threads. Settled on the 20" Shilen when it came in stock last night on Midway. Emailed Shilen and for $75 + $15 shipping, they will add threads for me, two weeks turn around.

Comment

• cbe1962
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2012

Duplicate
                    Last edited by cbe1962; 11-09-2012, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X