How do you break in a new Barrel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you break in a new Barrel?

I can’t make heads or tails over the division in steps to break in a new barrel. They range from, lube, shoot once, clean, lube, and shot one round again; repeat 100 times. To lube, shoot 40 rounds, clean, lube, and you’re good to go.

I have a new 20” heavy BlackHole .264 and haven’t been able to locate its recommended break-in steps. What break-in methods have worked for you guys/gals?
    Last edited by Guest; 01-04-2013, 12:31 AM.
  • Von Gruff
    Chieftain
    • Apr 2012

I just got my 21in barrel over the first couple of hundred rounds and I didn't bother with any of the "break in" procedures that are often seen in print.
    I fired five rounds to check function while doing initial scope sight in. Gave it a clean with Bore Tech and went back to shooting the rest of the 4o rounds I had with me. Cleaned it again and considered it good to go. Have got groups in the 1/3-1/2 moa and very little copper fouling although using CFE so that may have helped a bit.
    http://www.vongruffknives.com/

sigpic Von Gruff

Grendel-Max

Exodus 20:1-17
    Acts 4:10-12

Comment

Mr. Satern just said to shoot
      Attached Files

Comment

• Wild Geese 1
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Fillar View Post
        I can’t make heads or tails over the division in steps to break in a new barrel. They range from, lube, shoot once, clean, lube, and shot one round again; repeat 100 times. To lube, shoot 40 rounds, clean, lube, and you’re good to go.

I have a new 20” heavy BlackHole .264 and haven’t been able to locate its recommended break-in steps. What break-in methods have worked for you guys/gals?

Tubbs final finish

Comment

Working...
        X