X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • backwater2

28" Range Gun

DSC02647.jpgDSC02646.jpgDSC02649.jpg

I'm close to getting the Grendel together! I have the barrel propped with a piece card board in the hand guard. Have to get it chambered and target crowned. Waiting on 2nd back order extension at Midway for reamer from PTG. Liked the competition stock from White Oak but, 425.00 was steep. I'm saving for scope and mount next.
    Here's the List:
    Mega billet side slot upper
    Palmetto lower
    UTG A2 butt stock
    Kreiger 28" Varmatch bull SS barrel fluted .937 at gas port
    JP 3 1/2 # Trigger springs
    Young National Match bolt carrier w/ handle
    Alexander Arms 6.5 hard use bolt
    Nordic extended hand guard
    Caldwell pic rail mounted bipod
    BCM Gunfighter mod 4 charging handle

Once its complete and a scope is attached i'll be ranging!

Quick question for the Horde? Barrel came with light weight aluminum extension. Should i replace with ss or cromoly?

barrel came with aluminum extension or gas block? gas block looks like aluminum. If thats what you meant, either stainless or CM will do I think. Bwaites can give good advice on the 28" as far as the gas system, as I think he did the old fashioned discovery method on what works and what doesnt

Comment

You will need an adjustable gas block big-time if you plan to push it.

Comment

• backwater2

Regarding extension

I was talking about the barrel extension. I went back and looked at it and it is a real light weight steel of some kind. It has a black finish so its hard to tell. It just felt so light! The gas block is definitely aluminum. Looking at the adj gas block as an option.
        I'll check back with you guys after I get it done and put some down range.
        Thanks!

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Definitely need an adjustable gas block! If you haven't had the gas port drilled, have it drilled 2" longer than rifle length also.

Comment

This is a barrel extension:

There is no way it is Aluminum, as it is one of the main critical stress parts that absorbs tens of thousands of pounds of pressure. An Aluminum extension would cause the rifle to turn into a grenade. Are you possibly talking about a muzzle device?

Comment

• backwater2

Krieger drilled gas port and I have an extra long gas tube to go with barrel. Bwaites is right and its 2" longer than a standard rifle length tube. The barrel extension is steel, checked with magnet and weighed on electronic postal scale at 1.6 ozs. I guess after never having one off and holding the bull barrel its seemed very light.
              Thanks for input guy's.
              DSC02663.jpgDSC02666.jpgDSC02662.jpg

Comment

Ok. Your rifle is a prime candidate for a Magpul PRS. I think someone was even selling one here. I would recommend staying away from anything UTG, and Caldwell is a company that does knock-offs of US-Made products, then has them made for pennies on the dollar in China.

Your Krieger barrel is worthy of higher grade components than that, but I understand the market is "get what you can" right now.

I would consider LaRue, Spuhr, NightForce, or other quality US optics mounts, and a good scope with at least a 30mm tube and plenty of elevation adjustment that isn't made in China. With your extended gas system, you should be able to push the 108gr Scenar really fast, as well as the 123gr and 130gr target pills.

I'm looking forward to how this will turn out at distance, because Krieger barrels are top-notch in the accuracy and accuracy life departments.

Comment

• backwater2

Thanks for the info LRRPF52. The stock was a temp measure until i could afford an adjustable. I'm definitely looking at better components. I have looked at Magpul adjustable stocks and like them. I also looked at White Oak adj stocks and Match, free float hand guards which have a slot for hand stops or palm rests.I like LaRue scope mounts and have been gathering ideas for scopes and have decided on 30mm tubes as you mentioned. I've got to figure out whether to include range finding or what style of markings/hashes, turret size and maximum range of MOA needed. I've only dealt with your average 3x9 deer scope at 100yrds. 200yrds -1000yrds is virgin territory for me thanks to the 6.5 Grendel. I'm also jumping into reloading. Have researched powders, primers, bullets and brass. I've have acquired with current environment being bare shelves: Federal 205 small rifle primers, 6.5 Lapua brass, 123 amax bullets, and working on H322,benchmark,Varget or other available powder.
                  I have reloaded shotgun shells but, first foray into Rifle ammo. I have acquired a good single stage press that was given to me and all the supplies and equipment necessary down to an electronic scale. I'm hooked thanks to the Grendel and a nudge from a brother.

Comment

Working...
                  X