• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sojorboy
    Warrior
    • Nov 2011

556 barrel options

I have barrels from Compass Lake and AR Performance, and they are all accurate. Compass Lake did me a custom 18" with 1/8 rifling. It shoots .75 to .5 MOA with 69gr and 77gr Scenars.

When I accuracy-tested even one of the M4 profile AR Performance barrels, it shot really well. I have the 16" SOCOM profile ARP barrel with 5/8x24 threads, but haven't shot it yet.

I think Ranier Arms uses Shilen barrels for the Ultra Match grade they offer: http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...ls_rainierarms
    Last edited by Guest; 02-28-2013, 05:02 AM. Reason: Criterion to Shilen for Rainier with source

Comment

• leopard6.5

Hey Sojorboy: I sent you an email about your barrel question.

Lee

Comment

• Sojorboy
        Warrior
        • Nov 2011

Thanks Lee

Comment

• Drifter
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

ARP- I've owned two (one melonite and one plain chrome-moly I think). Neither were 223 / 556.

Shilen UltraMatch (Shilen blanks)- I've owned at least three. One was 223 Wylde.

Criterion- I currently own four (three chrome-lined and one stainless). Two are 223 Wylde.

In general...

ARP barrels have produced fast velocities, but not quite the same accuracy that I've experienced with the other two brands.

The Rainer UM's have shown a slight edge in accuracy, though not sure about the longevity of Shilen blanks. (Don't know which blanks they use in their Select barrels- maybe BHW?)

Criterion is my favorite of the bunch. Impressive accuracy, with good anticipated longevity with the chrome-lined bores. (Barrels can sometimes be found at Brownells and Fulton Armory, and also purchased direct from Criterion.)

All of 'em would likely serve nicely. Your decision might boil down to availability.
          Last edited by Drifter; 02-27-2013, 02:51 AM.
          Drifter

Comment

• sneaky one
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Or, sojor-go the route I went, as an easy option-with a bit more power. I am loading some ammo this wknd.

Comment

Working...
            X