Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • michaelmew

Father's Day Rifle

So, my Dad shot my AR Grendel and decided he wants an AR. I couldn't talk him into a Grendel, but I did talk him into us building it ourselves. He is brand new to AR style rifles so he has been doing his own research while I have been pricing everything (thanks LRR and Pin). I think I've got everything compiled so I thought I would run it by you guys and see if I've overlooked something.

He doesn't shoot competition or anything like that. This will be mostly just 100yd targets and general fun. And he only had a few specific requests.

I can get a complete 16" upper from Palmetto State Armory in 5.56 with an upgraded handguard (Magpul MOE- his request) for $420. Or I can wait a couple weeks and get same thing in 223 Wylde hopefully for the same price.

There's a gun show in town this weekend so I'm going to grab a lower for as cheap as i can find (less than $100) and a LPK for $40 (or go online). I've got an LMT stock coming and then all I'll need for the lower is the castle nut, buffer, spring, ext tube, etc-which I'll get at the gun show on the cheap. Then I can get a detachable carry handle (his request) for $70 online.

So, if all my calculations and back alley dealing is accurate that puts the entire rifle at $700ish. Hopefully I'll talk him into an upgraded trigger with the money we saved going DIY.

Can you guys see anything I've overlooked or something that looks really skewed? Also, who is PSA getting their barrels from and should I hold out for 223 Wylde so he can be the most accurate with anything he shoots (.223 or 5.56).

Sorry for the length, but thanks for the help.

Going with the Wylde chamber would be worth the wait, unless he just HAS to have it right now.

Comment

I build my own AR's and i just love BCM(Bravo Company). You cant beat the quality for the money. I dont know who makes Palmetto State Armory's barrel's or the quality of their stuff, but BCM sells upper assembilies that are awesome for the price. Depending if your Pops is gonna go with an aftermarket trigger or not, I'd spend 10 bucks on JP Enterprises Trigger Spring Kit.. its the best $ 10 bucks you can spend on an Ar if you keep a stock trigger. Dont forget some pmags or D&H magazines and some good inexpensive ammo. I use PMC bronze ammo for plinking, cant beat it at 6 bucks a box....

Comment

• michaelmew

Thanks for the advice about the trigger springs. I've got a RRA 2 stage NM in one build and a Geiselle SSA in another and a friend with a Timney. So I would say those are a good sample set to see if he wants to upgrade. I looked at Bravo Co a lot for parts and they are right up at the top for saving money.

As far as mags go, I think MidwayUSA is still doing 5 20rounders + 5 30rounders for $100. then i can get my Grendel case guage too and not pay extra shipping.

Comment

Working...
        X