• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

RUBBER CITY ARMORY - M16 Black Nitride Bolt Carrier Group

Does anyone here have any experience using these in a Grendel?
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

Alright so on there website a carrier, firing pin, and cam pin was only $122 shipped with a lifetime warranty, so I pulled the trigger. I figured at that price with a lifetime warranty why not give it a try.

It looks like my research thread just got redirected to a comparison and analysis thread. I'm running a black phosphate carrier in my PF Grendel and a Spikes black phosphate carrier in my 5.56. I'll do my best to do a comparison to them.

If anyone here has any experience with them please do add to this thread please. Especially if you're running a boron carrier you can compare it too.

Bwaites, LR1955, etc If this type thread belongs elsewhere please feel free to move it there.

Note: Their website states that "RCA has developed a revolutionary treatment eliminating the need for oil or grease on tactical components for the life of the weapon."

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. I have no intent to run this carrier dry. I've put no weight on the oil free function when I chose this carrier.
    Last edited by cory; 07-23-2013, 01:50 AM. Reason: Note

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

Ordered on 07/22, in hand 07/25. It's hard to complain about that.

Their website didn't have an option for a retaining. I replied to my order confirmation asking if I could also buy a retaining and explained that I was buying the parts for a Grendel build. They replied quickly that it'd be no problem, that they'd throw one in (no charge). Not exactly an expensive part, but I did appreciate the gesture.

Comment

Sounds like a great buy. Keep us posted on the function and wear/durability of this unit. Lifetime warranties are always appealing to me, especially if their confidence in the product is well founded.

Comment

• cory
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2012

Will do ricsmall. It may be quite a bit longer before I'm able to give analysis results. If you've seen my other post you know I'm not going to be able to get my barrel as soon as expected

Comment

damn, for that price, you could have got yourself a Primary Weapons DI carrier.
            Primary Weapon Systems

It's Salt Bath Nitride (aka Melonite) treated too.

Comment

Originally posted by Rambozo View Post
              damn, for that price, you could have got yourself a Primary Weapons DI carrier.
              Primary Weapon Systems

It's Salt Bath Nitride (aka Melonite) treated too.
              Really...hmmm $199.95 v/s $122.00 not really the same price...3 days v/s 120 days..what gives???

Comment

Originally posted by Shivesy View Post
                Really...hmmm $199.95 v/s $122.00 not really the same price...3 days v/s 120 days..what gives???
                122?

Hmm, nevermind. I saw it at over 200.

Sorry bout that. I got all confused.
                Last edited by Guest; 07-29-2013, 02:19 PM.

Comment

• cory
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2012

Alright, so I'm about to have a Grendel build ready to rock one of these RCA carriers. I thought I'd start a little comparison to other carriers I have on hand. I've started with OAL and weight, as I'm still not ready for live use.

All carriers had an OAL of 6 11/16", measuring with a construction measuring tape. My calipers weren't able to accommodate them.

RCA - 9.38 oz
                  Precision Firearms phosphate used - 9.63 oz
                  Spikes Tactical Phosphate new - 9.45 oz
                  Spikes Tactical Phosphate used - 9.45 oz

Hopefully, I'll be testing operating performance soon.

Comment

I'm still doing long-term durability, reliability, and function-testing on different BCG's dating back to 2007, in Arctic through hot-wet annual cycles. They include:

* Standard Mil-spec 8620 carrier with correct chrome-lined gas gey
                    * Titanium Nitride (TiN) plated BCG, including the bolt
                    * Nickel Boron (NiB) plated BCG, including bolt

So far, no reliability differences that have stuck out. All guns have been lubricated during high-volume shoot sessions. The TiN seem to acquire a burnish from hot gassing, and the NiB does to a lesser extent as well. Lubricity goes to the NiB favor, although no reliability differences have been noted.

The ferritic nitrocarburized (melonite) bolt carriers seem to be somewhere between TiN and NiB from just a subjective observation so far, although I didn't have any to start testing with in 2007.

More important with the Bolt Carrier is the dimensional uniformity and adherence to standards, especially with regard to inner bore ID's where the bolt inserts into the carrier. The tail of the bolt must have a good seal with the hole it penetrates through in order to have a proper gas seal for the circuit, but modern Total Quality Management standards seem to have weeded out the reject carriers that were too large in the bolt tail hole.

Comment

• Sputnik
                      Warrior
                      • May 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                      I'm still doing long-term durability, reliability, and function-testing on different BCG's dating back to 2007, in Arctic through hot-wet annual cycles. They include:

* Standard Mil-spec 8620 carrier with correct chrome-lined gas gey
                      * Titanium Nitride (TiN) plated BCG, including the bolt
                      * Nickel Boron (NiB) plated BCG, including bolt

So far, no reliability differences that have stuck out. All guns have been lubricated during high-volume shoot sessions. The TiN seem to acquire a burnish from hot gassing, and the NiB does to a lesser extent as well. Lubricity goes to the NiB favor, although no reliability differences have been noted.

The ferritic nitrocarburized (melonite) bolt carriers seem to be somewhere between TiN and NiB from just a subjective observation so far, although I didn't have any to start testing with in 2007.

More important with the Bolt Carrier is the dimensional uniformity and adherence to standards, especially with regard to inner bore ID's where the bolt inserts into the carrier. The tail of the bolt must have a good seal with the hole it penetrates through in order to have a proper gas seal for the circuit, but modern Total Quality Management standards seem to have weeded out the reject carriers that were too large in the bolt tail hole.

Any further results from this durability testing? I ask because I just today saw my first Titanium Nitride BCG (in 5.56) at a gun show here in Jacksonville NC. The conversation mentioned a Titanium Carbo Nitride process; any information on this improvement?

Comment

Working...
                      X