• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BjornF16
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Lightweight Build for Stalk hunts

I'm looking to build a lightweight, mid-length upper. I really like the looks of the Ultra-light from AA, but want a threaded barrel for one of Warped's muzzle brakes.

Here's what I'm planning on buying, but looking for any advice:

AA Spartan 18' threaded barrel/bolt
    JPE low profile adjustable gas block
    JP/VTOR mid length modular hand guard
    AA upper receiver
    Still looking for lightweight carrier...help!!!!

What am I missing?

Bjorn
    LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Satern has double-fluted 18" barrel-bolt combo's on clearance. Check their website.

JPE has lightweight bolt carriers.
    Last edited by Drifter; 06-15-2011, 02:37 AM.
    Drifter

Comment

You might want to opt for a Ti WCI brake then as well.

Big difference in weight.

You really should use a normal carrier and buffer at rifle weight.

Do not skimp on the running gear

Comment

The G10 or MK10 from AA is the lightest and best I have found.

Rock solid too.

If I wanted built in rails I would buy a Templar.

I have had and or installed nearly every FF tube you can think of and many of them do not exactly win high praise.

That Rail you mentioned is far heavier than a G10
        Last edited by Guest; 06-15-2011, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
          I'm looking to build a lightweight, mid-length upper. I really like the looks of the Ultra-light from AA, but want a threaded barrel for one of Warped's muzzle brakes.

Here's what I'm planning on buying, but looking for any advice:

AA Spartan 18' threaded barrel/bolt
          JPE low profile adjustable gas block
          JP/VTOR mid length modular hand guard
          AA upper receiver
          Still looking for lightweight carrier...help!!!!

What am I missing?

Bjorn
          Bjorn,

Just be advised that the lightweight JP carriers are meant to be used as one component in a series of components that are designed to increase the cyclic rate of fire in semi-auto for competition shooters in USPSA 3-gun events, to help shave time off a run. They are not recommended for a field or duty gun usually. They are meant to be used with an adjustable gas block, a different buffer, and even different recoil springs in a rifle-length extension tube. After assembling a "race gun" with these components, the competitor will then find a load that works best with his or her rifle for reliability, and play with the adjustable gas block a lot to find a very fine balance between reliability and recoil in doing so.

I'm not sure how those lightweight carriers would hold up with the Grendel for maintaining lock-time properly either, but if you do go that route, it might be educational from an experimental perspective.

I would personally steer away from such a system for a lightweight stalking gun, as you can shave most of the unwanted weight off your rifle/carbine with a lightweight barrel, and careful selection of ancillary parts for furniture, aiming solutions, etc. With the same barrel profile, a Grendel will be lighter than a .223 or 5.56 anyway, since it has less mass from the larger bore diameter.

LRRPF52

Comment

• BjornF16
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by warped View Post
            You might want to opt for a Ti WCI brake then as well.

Big difference in weight.

You really should use a normal carrier and buffer at rifle weight.

Do not skimp on the running gear
            Any idea where I could get the Ti WCI brake? ;-)

Comment

None at all....hehehe

Well yeah just maybe

Comment

Originally posted by warped View Post
                None at all....hehehe

Well yeah just maybe
                You ain't right!!

Comment

Bjorn, I bought the 16" midlength button-rifled tube (listed for $260 on the AA site). It has a threaded muzzle. The entire gun, with 1-3X scope an RRA one-piece aluminum float tube, weighs about 6.5 lbs. I'm completely happy with the accuracy. Here's a link to the gun and a target:

These are both relatively new guns for me, with about 100 on the odometer for the rifle and about half that on the carbine. Here are the details for each. Rifle (about 12 lbs sans mag) LBC 24" heavy bbl w/bolt Mega heavy duty side-charger upper DPMS float tube RRA 2-stage trigger Bushnell 4200 4-16x scope Warne

Oh, you in the Austin area, by chance? If so, I'd be happy to let you run a few rounds downrange to see how she handles.

Comment

• BjornF16
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by ss355 View Post
                    Bjorn, I bought the 16" midlength button-rifled tube (listed for $260 on the AA site). It has a threaded muzzle. The entire gun, with 1-3X scope an RRA one-piece aluminum float tube, weighs about 6.5 lbs. I'm completely happy with the accuracy. Here's a link to the gun and a target:

These are both relatively new guns for me, with about 100 on the odometer for the rifle and about half that on the carbine. Here are the details for each. Rifle (about 12 lbs sans mag) LBC 24" heavy bbl w/bolt Mega heavy duty side-charger upper DPMS float tube RRA 2-stage trigger Bushnell 4200 4-16x scope Warne

Oh, you in the Austin area, by chance? If so, I'd be happy to let you run a few rounds downrange to see how she handles.
                    I'm very intrigued as I was considering the "tactical" 16" barrel. Just to confirm, you have the chrome lined, pencil profile barrel listed in AA barrel/bolt combo?

I'm really looking at this gun as a sub-200 yard weapon. We'll also be carrying a 8lb Remington 700 (7mm Rem Mag) during the stalk. My Grendel Entry is a whopping 11 lb (12 lb with bipod) gun that just is not desirable for a stalk hunt.

You would be happy with your Grendel for 200 yd and closer?

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
                      ... Just to confirm, you have the chrome lined, pencil profile barrel listed in AA barrel/bolt combo?

You would be happy with your Grendel for 200 yd and closer?
                      Mine is the stainless version shown here (mine has the bead blast option for matte finish): http://www.alexanderarms.com/item/14...relandbolt.htm

200 yards is probably further than I'd care to shoot at game, but if I felt confident about the shot, I'd have no problem using that gun. I carried my 18" FAL on a hog hunt once, and though I'm a relatively fit 6', 200lb frame, I swore afterward that the next time I went on a hunt like that where I did I lot of hiking that I'd have a lighter rig.

Comment

• BjornF16
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2011

ss355

I was thinking of the tactical upper...who supplies your barrel to AA?

Comment

Gents,

I have no problems humping my 16" AA barrel carbine, even when I had a larger scope on it. It also has a rifle-length float tube as well. It basically feels as light as an M4 to me...much lighter than my Pre-'64 Winchester .270 Featherweight, and has a way nicer trigger than the .270, since I put a JP in it. A lot less recoil of course, but nowhere near the velocity either.

A 200yd shot would be child's play with any zero'd Grendel, let alone most other high-powered rifles in the right hands.

LRRPF52

Comment

• BjornF16
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                            Gents,

I have no problems humping my 16" AA barrel carbine, even when I had a larger scope on it. It also has a rifle-length float tube as well. It basically feels as light as an M4 to me...much lighter than my Pre-'64 Winchester .270 Featherweight, and has a way nicer trigger than the .270, since I put a JP in it. A lot less recoil of course, but nowhere near the velocity either.

A 200yd shot would be child's play with any zero'd Grendel, let alone most other high-powered rifles in the right hands.

LRRPF52
                            16" barrel/bolt combo is only .16 lbs lighter than 18" Spartan. Any reason not to get Spartan?

Any idea of the weight of the AA Mk-10 plus handguards?
                            Last edited by BjornF16; 06-15-2011, 10:17 PM.

Comment

The spartan is really really good.

I say if under 18" go 14.5" no need to be 16"

Comment

Working...
                              X