MY 24" 6.5 is unlocking early- solutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MY 24" 6.5 is unlocking early- solutions

I have a 24" BHW barrel and I am having early unlocking issues. I purchased a .936 PRi adjustable gas block, unfortunately it will not work with my Geissele SMR MKII forend. I looked around a bit and I do not think there is a .936 adjustable gas block that will fit under it, as it is a 13" forend it passes over the back end of the block. I am looking at heavy buffers, but all I can find it rifle length is an 11 oz is this to heavy? Would an Endine Hydraulic Recoil Buffer help solve my issue?

I have heard that the JP captured recoil spring has more pressure than a normal spring. I think someone else sells a "high power" spring, which should help.

Comment

• Tedward
      Banned
      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by MTNmyMAG View Post
      I have a 24" BHW barrel and I am having early unlocking issues. I purchased a .936 PRi adjustable gas block, unfortunately it will not work with my Geissele SMR MKII forend. I looked around a bit and I do not think there is a .936 adjustable gas block that will fit under it, as it is a 13" forend it passes over the back end of the block. I am looking at heavy buffers, but all I can find it rifle length is an 11 oz is this to heavy? Would an Endine Hydraulic Recoil Buffer help solve my issue?
      As fr the Gas Block, a JP will do it I think. It is 1.44 at the larges side measurement so should fit under a 1-7/8" inside diameter HG. Here is the link. http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPGS-8

As for the buffer, I have an really like the JP Silent Capture as Allen was saying. http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPSCS-15 They also have additional springs to adjust further but I have the standard spring on my 24" Barrel and wit the adjustable gas block, mine cycles fine....http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPSCS-PACK15

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
        Warrior
        • Oct 2012

The JP Spring is great...I have heard that they give a military discount of 20% which sadly I learned AFTER I got four of them.

Comment

I measured the width inside the SMR at 1.35. What I did tonight and have not tested yet was to remove the steel weights and aluminum spacer from inside the A2 buffer and fill it completely with lead shot. All I had to weight it with was some crappy kitchen scales but they show a weight increase of over 2 oz. My Grendel functions fine, but I am getting a lot of brass swipe on my case deflector and severely dented case necks. I have read this is a sign of early unlocking.

Comment

BTE will be producing a low pro adjustable for the 0.936 barrels. Give them a call Monday. I was holding one of the prototypes in my hands last month. Be sure and tell George that Greg sent you.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GLShooter View Post
              BTE will be producing a low pro adjustable for the 0.936 barrels. Give them a call Monday. I was holding one of the prototypes in my hands last month. Be sure and tell George that Greg sent you.

Greg
              Who is BTE? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by MTNmyMAG View Post
                Who is BTE? Thanks
                Battle Tested Equipment. www.bte-usa.com

You want the micro adjustable type listed on the site.

Greg
                Last edited by Guest; 09-29-2013, 04:42 AM.

Comment

• Tedward
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2013

Originally posted by GLShooter View Post
                  Battle Tested Equipment. www.bte-usa.com

You want the micro adjustable type listed on the site.

Greg
                  Good link Greg, thanks, I'll be checking with them on Monday too. Good pricing as long as the quality is there...

Comment

Yes Ill be contacting them as well, as soon as I can sell this Pri .936 adjustable

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                      Chieftain
                      • May 2012

mgi makes an adjustable gas tube http://www.midwayusa.com/product/297...gas-tube-ar-15
                      i have heard good things it only negative review i have read was a guy who had it fail after 3 full auto mag dumps

jp captured recoil http://www.midwayusa.com/product/316...r-spring-ar-15

Tubb SpeedLock Systems Flat Wire Buffer Spring http://www.midwayusa.com/product/693...chrome-silicon

then there is adding weight to the carrier or buffer
                      Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

OP: What's your gas port diameter, if you don't mind checking? A heavy buffer and/or spring is how I would approach this before adjustable gas block.

If your port is too large, and you choke it with a turned down adjustable gas block, the port becomes subject to more torch effect, leading to early port erosion and accuracy degrading.

Comment

Tubbs makes a flat wire spring that is fairly cheap that you could install. I have one. Its suppose to be stronger and help with dwell time. Its the Tubbs Flat Wire spring.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                            OP: What's your gas port diameter, if you don't mind checking? A heavy buffer and/or spring is how I would approach this before adjustable gas block.

If your port is too large, and you choke it with a turned down adjustable gas block, the port becomes subject to more torch effect, leading to early port erosion and accuracy degrading.

When I get a chance Ill pull the gas block again and see what it measures. I had this barrel custom profiled after I bought the DPMS lo pro gas block that is on it. So I had him leave the gas block journal the length of the DPMS gas block, so it would be best to stick with it anyway as I would have to have the gas block journal turned down to match the length of whatever block I was using and in that case I might as well go to a .750 Gas block and journal so it would fit.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses, I will probably end up with a tubbs flat wire spring and maybe one of the HeavyBuffers 11 oz buffers.

Comment

Working...
                              X