• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jp3731
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2011

help removing buffer tube

I need to remove a carbine buffer tube that is staked on by the end plate. Can I just push through the staking or do I have to cut it somehow? tks jp
    My level of creativity is proportional to my level of desperation.

Post a pic

Comment

• jp3731
      Unwashed
      • Mar 2011

buffer tube.jpg

Comment

Carefully use a blade type jewelers file or a Dremel with the cutoff wheel, be really careful and go slow.

Comment

• StoneTower

The nut and the plate are one use items if they are staked. Some people just wrench them off. If that does not work a dremel with a cut-off wheel works wonders. I do not stake them. I use a little blue thread locker and then use a Troy sling mount which keeps the nut from backing off. I only use my rifles for hunting and target shooting. My life does not depend on them.

Comment

• jp3731
            Unwashed
            • Mar 2011

Thanks I'll try the dremel.

Comment

You can wrench it loose without any real damage. Just make sure you use the right tool and make sure it engages the notches on the nut. I have removed many and put them back on for various reasons without replacing the parts. The Colt armorers school only advised replacing the parts if they were damaged by someone putting to much horsepower while staking the plate.

Comment

Working...
              X