Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • customcutter

Parts on order. What did I miss?

As I said before this is my first AR build, hoping to build a sub MOA hunting rifle. I tried to do my home work, and order quality parts, but I know I've missed some small parts.

Parts on hand are Spikes lower with LPK and RRA NM 2 stage trigger.

Waiting on Liberty 18" barrel/bolt comb from the group buy.

Was going to order a Vltor billet upper, but ordered a Cross Machine billet upper instead. (I liked the fact that they are machined on a 5 axis machine, hopefully translates to tighter tolerances.) Ordered a BCM Gunfighter with large latch, dust cover kit and forward assist assembly also.

For a handguard I ordered the Diamondhead VRS T 13.5". I was originally looking at a Todd Jarrett for the past couple of years, but I really liked the engineering of the barrel retaining nut on the Diamondhead. Plus it's triangular, everything else is round or square, so I like different.

I ordered the Kies NiB BC and RRA bolt rebuild kit. Will the Grendel bolt with the barrel have an extractor? I was told the extractor in the kit would not work for Grendel bolts.

I finally settled on a Seekins Precision low profile adjustable gas block. Looks like it's adjustable from the front instead of the side, and at $50 I thought it was a steal. I ordered an Armalite mid length gas tube and retaining pin.

I picked up an adjustable Mako stock with adjustable cheek piece, mil-spec buffer tube, buffer, and spring at the last gun show.

I'll probably pull the 3.5X10X50 Leopold VX III for optics off of my 6.5 Swedish Mauser.

OK, what do I need other than something to protect the barrel threads, scope rings, mags???

There are ____ basic areas you need to cover with an AR15 project:

Upper Receiver Group

AR15 barrel assembly with quality extension, correct gas port diameter

Bolt Assembly (w/ejector and extractor parts)
    Bolt Carrier w/key (key needs to be chrome-lined per Mil-spec)
    Firing Pin
    Cam Pin
    Firing Pin Retaining Pin

Upper Receiver
    Charge Handle Assembly
    Ejection Port Cover Assembly (door, rod, spring, c-clip)
    Forward Assist Assembly (plunger/pawl, spring, roll pin)

Gas Block & fixtures
    Gas Tube & Roll Pin

Barrel Nut
    Handguard Assembly (some have their own specific barrel nuts)

Muzzle Device & washer if applicable, with correct thread pattern for your muzzle threads

Lower Receiver Group

Stripped Lower Receiver
    Lower Parts Kit
    Fire Control Group (included in most LPK's, but often replaced with after-market FCG's)
    Pistol Grip (same, w/screw and lock washer)

Carbine Build:
    Receiver Extension Tube (should be extruded)
    Receiver end plate
    Lock ring
    Carbine buffer (H1, H2, or H3's work better on the Grendel usually)
    Quality carbine recoil spring, 10.75-11.25" length
    Carbine stock assembly with latch

Rifle stock build:
    Rifle-length extension tube
    Stock assembly of choice
    If A2, use spacer and correct length screw.

Comment

I'm in the same situation, getting ready to build my 6.5 Grendel, so I'll pay attention to this thread.

Seeing how many people are using the 18" barrel for a hunting rig, I sure hope I didn't make a bad choice in going with a 16" barrel in the Liberty buy.

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by jfornelli View Post
        I'm in the same situation, getting ready to build my 6.5 Grendel, so I'll pay attention to this thread.

Seeing how many people are using the 18" barrel for a hunting rig, I sure hope I didn't make a bad choice in going with a 16" barrel in the Liberty buy.
        An extra 2" of barrel may have bought you an additional 50-75 fps, so I wouldn't lose any sleep on it. You'll certainly appreciate the lighter weight, if you tote that stick for any amount of time, though.
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Yes. Only 18" and above will penetrate animals. 16" Grendel's bounce off....

In all seriousness, there are forum members who have taken some very large deer in the Northeast with 10.5" Grendel's. Same with 11", 14.5"....even through-and-through the shoulders of feral hogs with 123gr SST from a 14.5".

Point-blank range is almost the same for all the carbines, with the 10.5" barely having 25yds less than a 16" for PBZ. The 10.5" Grendel keeps the 123gr SST over 1800fps to ~260yds, with a 225yd PBZ. There will be a detailed table of all this in Volume II of the 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbook. It shows max effective and PBZ for 10.5", 14.5", 16", 18", 20", and 24", with variable ranges of muzzle velocity commonly seen in the different barrel lengths.
          Last edited by Guest; 11-27-2013, 03:13 AM.

Comment

• NugginFutz
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            There are ____ basic areas you need to cover with an AR15 project:

Upper Receiver Group

AR15 barrel assembly with quality extension, correct gas port diameter

Bolt Assembly (w/ejector and extractor parts)
            Bolt Carrier w/key (key needs to be chrome-lined per Mil-spec)
            Firing Pin
            Cam Pin
            Firing Pin Retaining Pin

Upper Receiver
            Charge Handle Assembly
            Ejection Port Cover Assembly (door, rod, spring, c-clip)
            Forward Assist Assembly (plunger/pawl, spring, roll pin)

Gas Block & fixtures
            Gas Tube & Roll Pin

Barrel Nut
            Handguard Assembly (some have their own specific barrel nuts)

Muzzle Device & washer if applicable, with correct thread pattern for your muzzle threads

Lower Receiver Group

Stripped Lower Receiver
            Lower Parts Kit
            Fire Control Group (included in most LPK's, but often replaced with after-market FCG's)
            Pistol Grip (same, w/screw and lock washer)

Carbine Build:
            Receiver Extension Tube (should be extruded)
            Receiver end plate
            Lock ring
            Carbine buffer (H1, H2, or H3's work better on the Grendel usually)
            Quality carbine recoil spring, 10.75-11.25" length
            Carbine stock assembly with latch

Rifle stock build:
            Rifle-length extension tube
            Stock assembly of choice
            If A2, use spacer and correct length screw.
            When done, your finished project should look something like this:

(Forgive me, for I have no self-restraint.)

or this, if you really want to cut loose...

Last edited by NugginFutz; 11-27-2013, 04:06 AM. Reason: back by popular demand
            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• customcutter

When I first started thinking about a Grendel 4-5 years ago I was thinking 20-24 inch barrel. I've actually been on the notify list for a 24" AA upper from Midway. Now I'm glad I never was able to order one. I think I've got $100-$150 more in my upper and I know I'll like it a lot better. If you look at the ballistics down range I think a 16-18" is capable of dropping anything I will hunt. If I need something bigger I'll go to the bolt 7mag.

Edit:
              Here's a helpful search engine I used to locate some of my parts. Found it in one of the threads I read here over the last week
              Last edited by Guest; 11-27-2013, 03:38 AM.

Comment

• customcutter

nugginfutz,

I don't care who you are that is some funny stuff. Also nothing personal, but I think I know where you got your "moniker" from.

In all seriousness though, I've looked high and low, can you tell me where you got the fly lady from in the first pic. I gotta have me one of those.

That's another reason I ordered a handguard with only 1 rail.

That's still funny:-)

CC

Comment

Alright, thanks for setting my mind at ease guys.
                  I don't really plan on hunting out to more than a couple hundred yards, IF THAT. So, I feel it will be more than capable of taking deer and/or pig.
                  If I want to go further than that, I too would pick my big boy (300 Wby Mag).

Comment

I'm liking that Diamondhead VRS T 13.5". I'll add it to the list of handguards to consider for my build, though I would probably drop down to the 10.25" version.

Comment

• customcutter

I must be going nuts. The last time I looked at this thread, NugginFutz had two post with pics. Now there's only 1. I liked the one with the flying lady hood ornament mounted on the top of the scope. It really brought a lot of class to the build in my opinion.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by customcutter View Post
                        I must be going nuts. The last time I looked at this thread, NugginFutz had two post with pics. Now there's only 1. I liked the one with the flying lady hood ornament mounted on the top of the scope. It really brought a lot of class to the build in my opinion.
                        Restored. I personally liked the compass mounted on the butt-stock.

Comment

1. Quality Barrel
                          2. Quality Trigger
                          3. Mil spec BCG for reliablity
                          4. Free float handguard

The rest is just parts. Get what makes you happy.

Comment

Originally posted by customcutter View Post
                            Go ahead and build one for your daughter as well.

Comment

• Smud Dude
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jul 2011

Dooh!!! My wife got 1 look at the OMG-AR15 Unicorn and wants me to build 1 in purple instead of white.
                              Sugabat Sed Pefecidamus 5B89
                              The only time you've used too much HE is when you're in the frag zone.

Comment

Working...
                              X