X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

I use one of the heads in a security Torx set, or a security hex set to hold roll pins.

Security sets cost very little and you can use them like normal Torx and Hex sets. They just come with a shallow hole in the middle.

Comment

• customcutter

I thought I would check the forum before heading out into the garage to turn a brass or steel (W-1) roll pin holder.

Klem's idea of the torx head and Drifter's suggestion of a little grease to hold it should work perfectly. I'll chamfer the edge by chucking it up in my flex shaft grinder and some sand paper.

thanks for the replies.
      CC

Comment

I get a little bit larger drill and make few twist in the hole by hand.

I use an india stone to bevel the pin also.

Put the GB in a vise so it doesn't move around and tap pin in using needle nose pliers.

It goes in easy.

Finish with a punch once the pin gets close to edge.

I put a dot on tube to see if it's rotating while the pin is being tapped in.

If it rotates the pin will hang up and possibly damage the tube.

Comment

• Tedward
          Banned
          • Feb 2013

I only use SS Spirol Coiled Roll Pins and toss the black ones that come with LPK or Gas Blocks.http://www.spirol.com/company/produc...FTEV7Aod-wcAqQ

I have used numerous different manufactures gas blocks with the provided roll pins and some are ok and others suck. The holes are differnet sizes due to coating and some are steel roll pins that can rust. Atleast use SS roll pins.

The SS Coil Roll pins are the best and easier in and out, these are the same style Troy uses on there trigger guards. I use them on all 3 places they are regularly needed, Gas Block, Trigger Guard and Bolt Catch.
          Last edited by Tedward; 01-09-2014, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Tedward, are you buying these direct from Spirol?

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
            I only use SS Spirol Coiled Roll Pins and toss the black ones that come with LPK or Gas Blocks.http://www.spirol.com/company/produc...FTEV7Aod-wcAqQ

I have used numerous different manufactures gas blocks with the provided roll pins and some are ok and others suck. The holes are differnet sizes due to coating and some are steel roll pins that can rust. Atleast use SS roll pins.

The SS Coil Roll pins are the best and easier in and out, these are the same style Troy uses on there trigger guards. I use them on all 3 places they are regularly needed, Gas Block, Trigger Guard and Bolt Catch.

Comment

• Tedward
              Banned
              • Feb 2013

No, I was just using them as an example. Here you can buy small quantities. http://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-s...l-pins/=q6mvwo

I get them from a vendor I use but you can look around, McMaster will have them to you in 2 or 3 days.

Comment

Working...
              X