• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BjornF16
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Lightest hand guard yet?

Just saw a video on these, and found them on BCM's website...!

13" KeyMod hand guard weighing 5.5 oz. Aluminum/Magnesium alloy.

BCM's free-float 13inch KeyMod handguard; manufactured from aluminum, it is lightweight yet durable. Designed for mid-length ARs.

Last edited by BjornF16; 01-16-2014, 02:08 AM.
    LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

It's even lighter than my MI hand guards and will also be available in my favorite length of 15". Sounds like the finish is similar to cerakote.

Great find ,thanks for the heads up.

Comment

• kg4kpg
      Bloodstained
      • Oct 2013

Wow, that's light. I have a Fortis Rev 12" on my carbine and thought it was light at 9.2 ounces.
      If you are an Iraq or Afghanistan veteran please visit this site, you've earned it.
      http://www.outwardbound.org/course-f...ran-adventures

Comment

LOL Just when I feel good about how my AR's are set-up. Along comes something even cooler and more functional. Ya got love it.

Comment

Saw LOTS of light ones at SHOT this year. All keymod configs. Some of them are around 5 oz if I had to guess.

Comment

• lilharcher
            Warrior
            • Feb 2013

Mounting hardware is another 2.2 ounces, but 7.7 ounces all-in is pretty awesome. I wonder when they will be back in stock.

Comment

Looks like they copied noveske's idea and design and made minor modifications.

Comment

• explorecaves

Wow... beats AP Custom CF handguards in weight by 0.1 oz.... If only there was a 15 inch model....

Comment

• Klem
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Whelenon View Post
                  LOL Just when I feel good about how my AR's are set-up. Along comes something even cooler and more functional. Ya got love it.
                  Know the feeling!

As for the hand-guard weight...Compared to the weight of a barrel it's not really that impressive. A hand-guard weighs 5oz plus or minus a couple of ounces. Your barrel however weighs seven times as much. A 16" Lilja is 2.18lbs (35 oz). Longer barrels, even heavier so if weight is an issue then barrel profile, length and fluting is where you're going to make a difference. For me, hand-guards are more about ergonomics and stability, especially when shooting prone.

Comment

• Tedward
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2013

I've been using SLR keymod HGs and they might me lighter than those and use a standard wrench to put them on. Also a little more coolness to the look. I'm using them with 18" fluted barrels and you can feel the weight difference big time from non fluted barrels.

Now I will be getting a scale to do weight comparisons. Any brands of scales recommended for weighing parts like complete uppers? Or lowers with stocks?
                    Last edited by Tedward; 01-19-2014, 12:04 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Makes me want to build a lightweight Grendel...mine weighs a ton. 18" satern barrel with yhm diamond rifle length handguards and an ace stock.

Comment

• seatleroadwr

The mounting system looks like UTG's.. I have one of those and it very good.

Comment

• BjornF16
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                          As for the hand-guard weight...Compared to the weight of a barrel it's not really that impressive. A hand-guard weighs 5oz plus or minus a couple of ounces. Your barrel however weighs seven times as much. A 16" Lilja is 2.18lbs (35 oz). Longer barrels, even heavier so if weight is an issue then barrel profile, length and fluting is where you're going to make a difference. For me, hand-guards are more about ergonomics and stability, especially when shooting prone.
                          My 14.5" Satern Spartan barrel only weighs 1 lb. In search of a true "ultralight" weapons, the hand guard makes a difference for me.
                          LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                          Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• montana
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2011

BCM's free-float 13inch KeyMod handguard; manufactured from aluminum, it is lightweight yet durable. Designed for mid-length ARs.

These hand guards are now in stock.

Comment

• lilharcher
                              Warrior
                              • Feb 2013

Nice looken rail.....I run the Noveske NSR's which are similar.

Comment

Working...
                              X