Grendel Barrels in stock at Brownells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It also makes sense for distributors to keep parts source confidential because they don't want their competition finding out about it, then trying to weasel in and undercut them on price, or just solicit volume from the same supplier.

Comment

• Longshot_34

I've never known Brownells to put their name on a crap product. I personally would buy with confidence.

Comment

• poli
        Bloodstained
        • Feb 2014

No; couldn't give me any more details, although I said that I'm interested in buying one

Comment

• poli
          Bloodstained
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
          I just looked at Brownell's barrel page. They list the manufacturer on at least some of these barrels, for example E. R. Shaw (http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod41018.aspx).

Frankly, advertising the source for some and withholding, or refusing to name, the source name on others does tend to erode confidence. It might be worth a follow-up call, email, or letter, depending on how annoyed you are.
          That's what threw me off... Other products have the manufacturer advertised...

If it was a 20" target crowned I would've followed up on this.

Comment

• poli
            Bloodstained
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            It also makes sense for distributors to keep parts source confidential because they don't want their competition finding out about it, then trying to weasel in and undercut them on price, or just solicit volume from the same supplier.
            I see your point; this could be a tactic.

Comment

• Tedward
              Banned
              • Feb 2013

Liberty, Guarantee it. check the rifling, 5 lands and the bolt measures the exact same as my Liberty.

Comment

Are these gtg? Anyone shot theirs yet?

Comment

• Tedward
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2013

I've shot Liberty and Brownells, both fire. I had been using my own bolt that i had for a year or so to test the function of them. My bolt is .135 HS.

Check the bolt. If it is .130 they might not go with the Go Gauge. You need to measure them and test it to be sure. If you don't have the tools you can go to a gun smith for the measuring. most will throw a caliber on there and measure for you at no cost. They might not have a Go- Gauge. that you might need to invest in.

Truthfully people buying barrels and bolts and trying to be the home gunsmith need at minimum a few gunsmith tools. Calipers, armors wrench, torque wrench, allen wrenches and hand tools. most importantly in this case and as I have now determined, a Go-Gauge for your caliber to confirm safety. It's like buying parts to rebuild and engine and not have the tools. You do need them to properly do your project.

If not that is why there are company's like auto shops and gunshops that sell the rifles already together. Or a gunsmith to assemble the parts. Again, buying parts is half the fun but its more to it than slapping it together.

MANSON: 513-000-102WB NO GO GAUGE, fits 6.5 Grendel, in stock and $30

If you have these tools, before firing it use the Go-Gauge due to the issues we've all been experiencing, spend the $30.

Comment

• cst
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2014

Do you think the go guage is all we need or get the no-go to?

Comment

• Tedward
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by cst View Post
                      Do you think the go gauge is all we need or get the no-go to?
                      I bought both but if the Go-Gauge doesn't let the bolt lock to the barrel extension (turn) you know you have a bolt issue and the No-Go isn't needed. Truthfully, just measure the HS. If it is .132 the Go-Gauge will work at the highest end of tolerance's. If its .130, the go-gauge won't work (let the bolt turn and lock to the barrel extension). I even removed the extractor to make sure that was not interfering and no difference.

If a bolt HS is .130 they are non functioning bolts with the Grendel and need returned or buy a .135 bolt from Maxim and then it will work. They do function with a Go-Gauge and a correct head spaced bolt (.135) and if the Go-Gauge works, should be fine. Once I used a .135 bolt with my barrels the round chambered and extracted fine on both Liberty and Brownells Barrels. Seems as if each barrel needs confirmed by a 2 step process.

Now if you have a Maxim bolt with the rings on them it should work with a Go-Gauge but if the bullet gets stuck, it is a different issue and you might want Mark to help out or send it back. Mark did say the one he looked at had a short throat and thats a different issue.

Comment

Just for clarification: A go or no-go gauge, while useful, will NOT tell you if you have a throat issue as they only check the chamber. go/no-go gauges worked in my stoner barrel but it's throat is noticeably short.

Comment

• Tedward
                          Banned
                          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by PigOPs View Post
                          Just for clarification: A go or no-go gauge, while useful, will NOT tell you if you have a throat issue as they only check the chamber. go/no-go gauges worked in my stoner barrel but it's throat is noticeably short.
                          That is true. I wish there was a throat gauge, like a machined bullet to check both the chamber and throat.

Comment

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
                            That is true. I wish there was a throat gauge, like a machined bullet to check both the chamber and throat.
                            Best to make the case part the SAAMI max case and the throat the SAAMI min throat with appropriate tolerance. Clearance for the throat might be SAAMI minus .001" with the tolerance being -0.002 to +0.000.

The only tricky part would be cutting the body taper, shoulder, and throat taper. That said, a decent machinist could probably cut his first one from 1/2" aluminum or brass stock in about an hour on a traditional lathe. After that, the time needed might drop.

A guy or gal with a CNC could do the set-up in probably the same time, and then it's off to the races if modest production is the goal.

Someone on a different thread mentioned the 3-D printers storming the market recently. They might even be less expensive to produce for modest production runs. This might be a perfect marketing toe in the water for this kind of limited use end-user gauging. If it doesn't pass the plastic gauge test, it's off to the gunsmith for checking with a proper gauge!

Comment

• Tedward
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2013

Yes that would be great. Just need to find someone who would do it like Manson. But is there a market? If the barrel is machined correctly then even a go-gauge would really only be needed by the barrel maker. But what I have now seen is they depend on suppliers of bolts to sent them the correct product. That is why now there are two possible issues going on with the Liberty barrels. I have personally idetified the bolts as being incorrect and measurements not in range to work with a Go-Gauge. If they don't work, then the throat is not relevant. All of my barrels let the bullet chamber without getting stuck when using a .135 HS bolt. So I am satisfied with the reamer. Apparently something else is going on when certain ones were made.

Comment

Concur on the market potential -- especially over the long term.

On the other hand, a chamber gauge (I think that is what the item is called) is an item a prudent barrel maker and the commercial rifle / upper assembler might want to have on hand. The gauge can easily be made by the reamer maker, and one can very easily verify dimensions since they will be on the outside of the gauge!

Cheers!

PS The gauge might look an awful lot like a go-gauge but with details for neck, throat and freebore.
                                Last edited by Guest; 02-13-2014, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X