• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cst
    Warrior
    • Jan 2014

accuracy difference on reciever\handguard interface

Guys think having a receiver like the Mega MKM or Seekins where the handguard is mounted directly to the receiver is more accurate compared to the traditional upper with the handguard mated to the barrel nut?

No. Neither is touching the barrel so it won't effect accuracy. Any optics/sights shouldn't be mounted to the handguard anyway.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
      Chieftain
      • May 2012

Free float is free float as long as the reciver is square and the barrel nit properly torqued the type of hand guard is a personal preference usually boiling down to looks cool or wieght

As for mounting optics on the hand guard I would try to avoid it with exceptions being made for lmt mrp and other monolithic reciver hand guard combos and the pri float tube with the full length top rail or other similar monolithic top rails
      Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

I agree in principle that we shouldn't prefer the handguard to mount sights, but for short range larger targets it happens.

We mount lasers on the handguards for shooting out to 100. I mount an Aimpoint straddling the join between upper and handguard with no degradation of accuracy. I need the space behind the Aimpoint for other things. On a DD Lite bolt-up it's pretty rock-solid and it's a monolith type mounting clamp system. I think the type and rigidity of the handguard is a criterion here.

But for longer range precision shooting I use the upper only with cantilever mounts.

Comment

• Drifter
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

The best way for me to determine a barrel's accuracy potential is to put it in a Mega monolithic upper (old style). If the results suit me, I might move the barrel to a different upper and handguard. If it doesn't shoot as well, I disassemble and reassemble with tweaks as necessary (re-true the receiver face, adjust barrel nut torque, etc) until its performance matches the monolithic. Sometimes, it takes a few tries. Once in a great while, I can't get a particular combination to work to my satisfaction.

Basically, I think a true monolithic is more forgiving when it comes to assembling an accurate setup. And coincidentally, I think Mega is supposed to start producing a monolithic again.
          Drifter

Comment

• WildBill3/75

Traditional free floating hand guards can mess up accuracy when torqued on....I whitnessed this 1st hand when loading up the bipods pretty heavily on an SR-25. Monolithic uppers you will not be able to throw shots due to loading the bipods.

Comment

• cst
              Warrior
              • Jan 2014

The mkm is esentially a monolithic in concept.....the barrel nut holds the barrel on...the handguard is attached directly to the receiver and does not
              load the barrel.
              Also.....its not just about mounting an optic on the rail but the bipod or the pressure from resting the rifle on a sandbag or barracade etc....

I personally like the mkm or seekins because I can place pinned gas blocks which u cant on a monolith.

Comment

• WildBill3/75

In case you didn't know Mega is releasing their true monolithic again.

If you opt for the seekins or the MKM, I'd get the MKM or the seekins iRMT-3 Upper...I own the iRMT-R and since the mounting point is round it doesn't make for the best matchup. I have back up sights on that rifle and I had to drift the windage a bunch...terrorable design flaw. I think thats why Spikes changed the mounting system in their newer iRMT's.
                Last edited by Guest; 01-28-2014, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X