• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • keystone183
    Warrior
    • Mar 2013

Lilja Barrel Issue?

Just unwrapped her yesterday. Looks fine overall, a few machining marks and a few mars, (perhaps i'm too critical), but nothing that will show thru cerakote.

Main issue i have, which may or may not be an issue, is there appears to be a bur in the barrel at the gas port. I don't have a bore scope but i *think* it is what i'm seeing when i shine a light thru the gas port hole. Now, when you look down the pipe, it is very clearly hanging down. Orients with the gas port hole which is why I am guessing that is what it is. It won't blow out with compressed air.

Should i just run a brush through and knock it out? Definitely don't want to do any damage before i get started. Advice?
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Happens sometime, run a nylon brush down and it will probably push right out.

Comment

• keystone183
      Warrior
      • Mar 2013

Thanks! I figured that, but don't want to take any chances with my new pet.

Comment

• cory
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2012

One of my two had the problem. I was quick to run a cleaning cloth through it which removed it. Honestly in hindsight I don't know if this was best. Someone else reported this in another thread and they reportedly emailed Dan. they were suppose to report back, I've been patiently awaiting to see what they're told.
        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Drifter
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I don't think it's unusual for a tiny burr to occur from the gas port being drilled in any AR-15 barrel.
          Drifter

Comment

I have been using a nylon brush to carefully remove the burs, along with a Dewey rod and guide. Not all of the barrels have it, but many do. Lilja was careful to not blow through the bore when drilling the ports, so there are some residual burs from the gas port drilling.

I have also seen this on high-end Super Match Douglas barrels for the SPR, but the owner fired his bur out and caused some gas port damage that way. The gun still shoots, but has a large gaping void on the down end of the port.

Just run a nylon brush carefully through the barrel from the breech end, and you will feel it hit the burs. Once the brush exits the muzzle, remove the brush, and withdraw the rod.

Comment

Working...
            X