6.5mm Barrel blanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.5mm Barrel blanks

I am exploring getting a special run of 6.5mm barrel blanks from Green Mountain. They would be 6.5 mm 1.25 dia 1:9 twist raw chrome moly blanks 25 inch long. If there is any interest out there they would run about 52.00 ea plus shipping. buyer would pay exact shipping cost. From what I could calc. fed ex would run in the area of 20.00. Dennis at Green Mountain says about 6-8 weeks plus about 3 days to pack and ship from St Louis.

Let me know if anyone is interested. Thanks Richard

Is there any way we could get 1/8 twist?

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
      Is there any way we could get 1/8 twist?
      +1

I've never heard of the company. Does anyone hear know anything about them?
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I've heard of them because of my retro interests. Seem to be great button rifled barrels for AR15's, Uzi's, AK's, muzzle loaders, and Thompsons.

Comment

• cory
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2012

Thanks man. If I was to pick up a 6.5mm blank at this point it'd be to do a 6.5 SAUM somewhere down the road.
          Last edited by cory; 02-11-2014, 01:13 PM.

Comment

who could we get to rifle, ream and chamber the blanks. You don't just trust anyone with that work.

Comment

• customcutter

You can buy or rent a chamber reamer and do it yourself. I had actually thought about it myself for a couple of years, but when I mentioned it, they told me the bolts were the hold up. Now that problem is eliminated. I guess barrel extensions are available???

Edit: the barrels are already rifled. Also buying the blanks you could lap the barrel before cutting the chamber and then cutting the end off of the barrel.

Comment

• customcutter

How about in stainless instead of chrome moly??? Price???

Edit:

The chrome moly are normally $99, and priced at $52. If we could get the SS 1-8 twist stainless, normally listed for $139, for around $70 that would be great!!! Did they say how many to get that price break???

Last edited by Guest; 02-11-2014, 03:21 AM.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2012

Green mountian barrels are huge in the 10/22 scene and several manufactors use green mountain blanks for there barrels I believe EABrown uses the
                  Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Tedward
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by cory View Post
                    Thanks man. If I was to pick up a 6.5mm blank at this point it'd be to do a 6.5 RSAUM somewhere down the road.
                    Cory, I never heard of a RSAUM so i looked. WOW, $115 for 50 empty cases and $237 for 50 rounds. If someone can afford that seems like spending the extra bucks and getting a finished rifle might be in store. I guess half the fun is DIY.

Comment

• cory
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2012

Yes it's still new, the 6.5 is an infant round. Hopefully it'll pick up in popularity and things will get cheaper before I build one.

I went back and edited. It should of read 6.5 SAUM.
                      Last edited by cory; 02-11-2014, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Green mountain was very big in muzzle loaders in the early 80's then they went into target 22's now have expanded. At this point nothing is set. I need interest in min. of 50 barrels of one type to place an order. options are 4140 or stainless 1:8 or 1:9. I will have to get stainless price. I can also 60 degree center the ends with a floating pilot center drill additional cost. After that they can go on a lathe for rough contour/ Extension thread/ Final contour/ crown and thread muzzle/ chamber head space/ Gas port.

Comment

I wonder if a twist rate of 1-8.5 could be a compromise for all interested. If GM could provide that twist, I would be very

interested in one of these blanks!

Comment

• Buster
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Bwild97 View Post
                            I wonder if a twist rate of 1-8.5 could be a compromise for all interested. If GM could provide that twist, I would be very

interested in one of these blanks!
                            That would be a good compromise... I would be interest in a unit with a 8.5 twist

Comment

I'm interested either way...

Comment

Working...
                              X