• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cst
    Warrior
    • Jan 2014

lilja and finish

I haven't got my barrel from lilja yet..was wondering what kind of silver fjnfish they have on it? is it rough enough to apply a paint on it or do I have to bead blast it first?

They are a pretty smooth stainless, so it helps to rough texture the surface before de-greasing, then coating them with a professional treatment like Cerakote.

I'm in the process of doing it on many of them from the group buy, just getting set up again after a move.

Comment

• montana
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2011

It is a beautiful polished stainless steel. I sand blasted mine to cerakote it but it was hard to do since it was one of the best polished barrels I have seen. If you are going to paint it you will have to blast it first if you want your paint to adhere. Make sure you plug the barrel, chamber and tape the gas port before you blast, which I'm sure you already knew.

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by montana View Post
        It is a beautiful polished stainless steel. I sand blasted mine to cerakote it but it was hard to do since it was one of the best polished barrels I have seen. If you are going to paint it you will have to blast it first if you want your paint to adhere. Make sure you plug the barrel, chamber and tape the gas port before you blast, which I'm sure you already knew.
        What do you use to plug the barrel for a sand blast? I have never done this and worry about the crown.

Comment

• dmsims21
          Warrior
          • Nov 2012

I just used masking tape to cover areas I didn't want blasted.
          www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

Comment

• explorecaves

I have heard some used foam earplugs.

Comment

• montana
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Klem View Post
              What do you use to plug the barrel for a sand blast? I have never done this and worry about the crown.
              I use the plug kit from cerakote. The plug kit comes in many sizes to fit many bore and chamber sizes. You can cut the tapered plugs in half to fit holes that are too shallow or to get a tight fit. The plugs are heat resistant and can be used over and over. I use a small piece of heat tape from Brownelles which I stick over the gas block whole. The tape is some of the toughest tape I have used and can recommend it completely. I blasted right over the tape and it stuck and held together like no other tape I have used. Great stuff. Masking tape or other common tape would be blasted off instantly in my blasting cabinet.

Comment

Working...
              X