X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • poli
    Bloodstained
    • Feb 2014

I hope the Grendel holds its own at 1000 yds. My current long range rifle is a Steyr Mannlicher SSG 69 in .308 bolt action that shoots about 1/2 MOA but it's not an AR and it's a bit on the heavy side. 700m was the longest distance I shot it at. If I ever decide to get an AR-10 it'll be a 260 Rem. In understand that it's unforgiving on the barrel - that's another reason I'm betting on Grendel.

Thank you for the picture, video and detailed instructions LR. Quick question - what compound are you using for polishing? I have IOSSO and Mothers, and some 220 grit Wheeler's that came with the upper lapping tool, but I believe this one is too coarse for the feed ramps.

Comment

Comment

• poli
        Bloodstained
        • Feb 2014

I found those Dremel rubber point tools on eBay and I ordered few of them.

I was going to take the barrel apart and take some pictures but unfortunately I don't have time tonight and tomorrow morning I made plans to go out to the range. This is the best I could get right now:

bar_ext_3.jpg
        bar_ext_2.jpg
        bar_ext_1.jpg

The Steyr 5 rounds rotary magazines are indeed very interesting. They function very well but they're also very brittle. So far I've been lucky I didn't break any... they're quite expensive. The 10 rounds mags are not rotary and are more solid.

Comment

Those are very nice barrel extension pics, some of the most detailed I've seen to date really.

You can see that your feed ramps and barrel extension could use some TLC, and then they will give TLC to your brass and bullets.

Comment

• poli
            Bloodstained
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            You can see that your feed ramps and barrel extension could use some TLC, and then they will give TLC to your brass and bullets.
            I've noticed that your feed ramps are very smooth. Once I get the rubber points (tips) I'll give them the treatment.

Comment

• cbe1962
              Warrior
              • Sep 2012

I am with Vascar2. I got the same barrel in 2012 and just got another for a build for a friend. I saw the same marks on extracted ammo as you have in the picture. I 'melted' the ramps per LRRPF52's instructions and the marks went away. I believe most of the marks were from the sharp corners on the inside corners of the feed ramps, the rest came from the ejector pushing the bullet into the 2nd extension notch CCW from the right feed ramp. Soften those sharp edges and the marks will disappear, at least they did on mine.

It will be a shooter for you. With factory AMAX, I am under 1 MOA, and in a better shooter's hands, I think it would approach 0.5 MOA.

Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
              X