Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M193 5.56x45 and M855 5.56 NATO have totally different ogive profiles as well. M193 is much more prone to jamming the lands on a .223 Rem chamber, whereas M855 has a longer radius for the ogive. It's a very sharp bullet, especially for a military projectile.

Comment

• waveslayer
      Warrior
      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
      It is critical that people actually contact those with whom they are doing business!

The solution of "scraping" the throat is not one that I would have foreseen from Satern, but if members are happy with it, I feel like it is one solution.

BUT...the board exists to help members, and not to hammer on anyone for their decisions or business practices. Satern has made thousands of Grendel barrels, and until this last episode with the Liberty barrels, I had heard very few complaints! I have two myself, and they are great barrels.

Work with whoever made your barrels, and try to work something out between you that is satisfactory to both, please!

Internet scandal is all to easy a trap to fall into. Lets not create ill will where none is necessary!

I haven't read all the posts, based upon this response here is my story.
      Had a short throat, contacted Satern about it. They were awesome, great to deal with. Had my barrel back in a week. Loaded some SST 123gr with CFE. OCW test completed. Half inch groups from 3 different powder charges.
      I'm happy with the end resuly. Is it a scraped throat... i guess, but I'm happy with it.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
        Administrator
        • Feb 2011

Good deal, wave, and that's what it's all about! Hope the rest can finally move on as well.

John
        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• WildBill3/75

Originally posted by HANKA View Post
          Good deal, wave, and that's what it's all about! Hope the rest can finally move on as well.

John
          Originally posted by bwaites View Post
          It is critical that people actually contact those with whom they are doing business!

The solution of "scraping" the throat is not one that I would have foreseen from Satern, but if members are happy with it, I feel like it is one solution.

BUT...the board exists to help members, and not to hammer on anyone for their decisions or business practices. Satern has made thousands of Grendel barrels, and until this last episode with the Liberty barrels, I had heard very few complaints! I have two myself, and they are great barrels.

Work with whoever made your barrels, and try to work something out between you that is satisfactory to both, please!

Internet scandal is all to easy a trap to fall into. Lets not create ill will where none is necessary!

We can HANKA, unfortunately not the way most would of hoped for. We ordered a 6.5 Grendel chamber. Most of us do not want a bastardized chamber.

I finally talked with Lindsey.
          Unfortunately, her boss decided to stick with their normal BS "the chamber is to SAMMI spec" and they will not fix my barrel with a 6.5 Grendel chamber.

I was not to hard on Linsdey, she just works there but this situation has really burnt me. I will NEVER own a Satern barrel again.

Comment

• babaganoush
            Warrior
            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
            This entire throat debate is the worse 3 months dealing with the Grendel I've had. I think there are a lot of questions, or was, and asking unknown questions makes answers and responses seem so defensive like some people are trying to hurt the cartridge and I really don't think that is anyone's intentions, or at least mine.
            You're half right on this, Tedward. It has been a miserable three months. I cannot help but see the second part of your comment as nothing more than insincere. Whether or not you are trying to "hurt the cartridge" is irrelevant. Your participation in the debate has shown you constantly playing devil's advocate in the Liberty Barrel debacle. Add to that the fact that you post in here, claiming to play nice, and turn around and visit your buddy's board carrying tales and distorting what is said here.

I, for one, have made up my mind that you have no credibility here and have done very little beyond rabble rousing. I cannot speak for others, but I find your two-faced behavior detestable.

Good day, sir.
            "A problem thoroughly understood is always fairly simple. Found your opinions on facts, not prejudices. We know too many things that are not true."

Charles F. Kettering

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
              Administrator
              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by WildBill3/75 View Post
              Unfortunately, her boss decided to stick with their normal BS "the chamber is to SAMMI spec"
              Yeah, dang, man, if they stick to the line "the throat is not part of SAAMI," I don't know how that's defensible. It would be nice to have a qualified person take a cast of the chamber and take careful measurements.

John

P.S. If my comment was poorly worded, it certainly wasn't directed at those of you who are victims of this whole cluster. . . .
              :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                Administrator
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by babaganoush View Post
                you post in here, claiming to play nice, and turn around and visit your buddy's board carrying tales and distorting what is said here
                I've been wondering about that, myself.

John

Comment

Originally posted by HANKA View Post
                  Yeah, dang, man, if they stick to the line "the throat is not part of SAAMI," I don't know how that's defensible. It would be nice to have a qualified person take a cast of the chamber and take careful measurements.

John
                  Maybe we should buy stock in companies that produce chamber casting materials.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                    Administrator
                    • Feb 2011

Someone please educate me. Anybody have access to some standard SAAMI drawings in, oh, .223 Remington or .308 Winchester that they can post? Are the throats actually specified in those drawings?

John

Comment

Do a Google search with the key words "223 remington saami" and the link to a PDF download is probably going to be the first item.

The title is "223 Remington.pdf - SAAMI" and the drawing that downloads indeed has a freebore and throat spec.

Doesn't seem to have much freebore and the taper is 3 degrees and change.

There is also an excellent photo of the chamber and throat here: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....er-Differences

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                        Administrator
                        • Feb 2011

Thanks, Joe, it appears it's safe to say that throat dimensions ARE a part of any standard SAAMI spec.

John

Comment

You're welcome!

Am hoping someone can do a good macro photo of the 6.5 Grendel Chamber Gauge. That would help a lot!

Comment

Here is a link to the SAAMI site. After a couple of menus, you get here:

The site has an annoying quirk. When you get the rifle, pistol and revolver, or other PDF sheet, the hotlinks to the individual drawings do not work in Firefox. They work just fine in Internet Explorer, though.

You will see all sorts of leade and throat geometries. Most of the ones from the past 20 years or so resemble that on the Gren II. A section of straight leade followed by a tapered throat (commonly of 1.5 degrees).

Comment

• Sojorboy
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2011

MidwayUSA now offering Grendel II

AR-Stoner Barrel and Bolt AR-15 6.5 Grendel (Grendel II Chamber) Medium Contour 1 in 8" Twist 18" Stainless Steel

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                                Chieftain
                                • May 2012

Not really surprising satern make the stoner barrels, satern made the Grendel 2 chamber.... Kind of a natural progression for the midway barrels to become Grendel 2
                                Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

Working...
                                X