Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dark_glide

Which upper?

I currently have a complete AR in .223 and I want to buy a completed upper in 6.5 Grendel. Which one is the best bang for the buck? I will mostly be using this for hunting and not so much target shooting so I don't want a heavy beast. I was looking at the AA overwatch or the advanced weapon 24" upper. I just want to be able to buy a complete assembly and put it on. Unless piecing one together is better. Any input is greatly appreciated as I am new to this setup.
  • michaelmew

i got mine from model 1 sales a couple years ago. its not the best, but the price was right and i havent had any complaints thus far.

you can build your own and save some considerable money, but building the upper isn't as simple as the lower (so i've been told). there are a lot of options to consider if you are going the DIY route and being new to the AR setup you might find that overwhelming.

-michaelmew
    Last edited by Guest; 07-21-2011, 06:35 PM.

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by dark_glide View Post
      I currently have a complete AR in .223 and I want to buy a completed upper in 6.5 Grendel. Which one is the best bang for the buck? I will mostly be using this for hunting and not so much target shooting so I don't want a heavy beast. I was looking at the AA overwatch or the advanced weapon 24" upper. I just want to be able to buy a complete assembly and put it on. Unless piecing one together is better. Any input is greatly appreciated as I am new to this setup.
      For hunting, I wouldn't consider anything over 20". Bill Alexander's personal hunting favorite is an 18".

I would consider Alexander Arms and Templar Consulting first, then J&T distributing. They are all licensed dealers/manufacturers with good reputations.

I would not consider Model 1 sales, as there have been a multitude of issues mentioned on the boards. (There have also been some happy customers, but if its one of your first AR's, you want one that will work, first time and every time!)

Comment

Get either the AA or a Templar Consulting LLC, AA offers a good selection and warranty, Templar is probably the best in custom, you can have anything you want.

For your bbl profile I would suggest the SPR type I use, 0.950" for the first four inches, then down to 0.825" until the .750 gas block, then .750 out to the muzzle.

The bbl would be really stiff but the center of balance would be towards the front pin, use a MK10 or G10 tube, or the Templar Fast rail if you want rails on all four sides.

The Fast Rail weighs 18oz. for a 14" rail, the G10 or MK10 is just a bit lighter.

Comment

• dark_glide

Good info guys. How will the 20 in barrel affect my accuracy? I really don't need like supreme accuracy out of this rifle, probably the longest shot I would be able to take right now is about 500 yards with the level of shooting skill I currently have. Besides, I really don't see myself shooting out past that anyways.

Comment

• dark_glide

What about an 18" version? I see that on AA's site that they offer a version with an adams arms pistion kit installed. I have this same kit on my .223 AR, how does it work with the grendel?

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by dark_glide View Post
              What about an 18" version? I see that on AA's site that they offer a version with an adams arms pistion kit installed. I have this same kit on my .223 AR, how does it work with the grendel?
              The piston Grendel works great. Out to 500 yards you will have no issues with accuracy with either the 18" or 20".

Both piston and direct impingement guns have their advocates. Bill Alexander has worked hard to make sure the piston guns are as accurate as the impingement guns he sells, so you will be happy with either.

Comment

• dark_glide

Thanks guys. I think the piston version may work out better in case I ever decide to supress it.

Comment

I recently shot an HK416 suppressed and unsuppressed. I still got gas in my face shooting suppressed, with the cough cloud after a rapid string. I was thoroughly unhappy with the handling characteristics of the 416 as well. You will never find a better-handling operating mechanism than a DI AR unless you go constant recoil. The only thing I have seen with DI guns shooting suppressed is you have significantly more fouling in the upper when shooting high volume, but I've never experienced reliability issues due to carbon build-up. Keep it well-lubed, and she will run like a champ.

For barrel lengths and accuracy relationships, two barrels of equal diameter but different lengths will lean the potential accuracy towards the shorter barrel, not the longer, all other things being equal. This is because a short, fat pipe resists barrel whip better than a long one, however, long heavy barrels tend to resist shooter input error better, so practical accuracy leans to the heavy pipes. I also would not go over 20" if you are hunting in scenarios where the rifle will be carried often. In a bench/varmint capacity, it's not an issue.

Comment

Paul, your experience is that of the friends of mine who have used the 416, they hated them and only used the rifles as parts donors.

One of them shot 20k rounds on 416's, this was on a few rifles because they did not last long enough at a high rate of fire.

It's his job, most people don't shoot until things melt or fall off.

Comment

Working...
                    X