• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lonehill
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2013

Cheaper route for a side charger

While putting together my side charging upper receiver, I did a lot of searching and looking at different places to source parts. You can get a Mega side charging billet upper receiver with a complete side handle bcg from Alexander Arms for $357. God only knows how long it will be on back order. Rainier sells the complete bcg for $265. Most Grendel barrels come with a matched bolt already so there's no need for the complete bcg. Instead, I called Young Mfg. directly and got just the carrier with the handle for $125 same day shipping. I can get the Mega side charging receiver for $146 in stock. So, for $271 you get only what you need...NOW!!!
    I'm not paying $140 for the chrome bolt I don't need. Hope this saves someone some time and money.
  • lilharcher
    Warrior
    • Feb 2013

Yep good deal, especial since mega makes quality uppers. But you will also need to factor in a cheap charging handle into the cost given the lack of a gas plug. Still around $300 all in.

Comment

• Lonehill
      Bloodstained
      • Aug 2013

I've got just plain 'ol stock handles from BCM Mod 4 conversions. Mainly, it's the wait. Can't stand waiting anymore. Took most of last year to put together my other AR. As far as AA goes...I choose not to go down that road again. It took them 7 1/2 months to get me a set of 6.5 dies. I'd finally given up and called them, they said they were scheduled to ship the next day (What a coincidence, go buy a lotto ticket!!!) Anyway, they get here the following week and it's Lee dies instead of Redding!! They made good on it, but I get sick and tired of nearly every single supplier screwing up. Customer service is nearly extinct! So, I go around suppliers that I've had trouble with and my list keeps growing......

Comment

Working...
      X