Superlite Grendel Build (spend my money!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Oh yeah---- Burke:

Vertex Ops has the Balios-Lite receiver sets on pre-order sale too.

You can save about $22 off what I paid from Hawk-Tech.

Vertex also has a coupon code of: "ILikedVOps6" that might work for an extra 6% off....

Better order now!
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• burkew23
      Warrior
      • May 2013

Nice, thanks for the heads up! I just might have to.

Comment

• burkew23
        Warrior
        • May 2013

But I forgot you were going suppressed so the gas buster would make more sense. Guess I'll have to get it instead....darn

Comment

• Variable
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I just noticed something weird. The V7 charging handle is listed at 29 grams (1.02oz) like you said, but in the Arfcom lightweight thread they list the following weights for other handles:

Charging Handles
          PSA Milspec 1.13 U
          Spikes Milspec 1.07 U
          Rainier Raptor 1.42 U
          BCM Gunfighter Med 1.24 U ("U" is supposed to mean user weighed)

I don't see how the V7 handle could weigh as much as a regular charging handle... Somebody did their weighing wrong I'd guess. Now I'll have to weigh multiple handles to find out what's correct.

Comment

• Variable
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Just got home, and Leupold lied!!!

Their website lists the VX-R Patrol at 11.5 ounces....

Oh well. I guess the CR2032 battery for the reticle must be extremely dense.LOL

Still waiting on the Aero mount. Maybe they were conservative with their weight.

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Charging handles:

Colt GI CH @ 1.15oz.

PRI Gasbuster CH @ 1.70oz. It has some wear, but it's filthy, so the carbon should offset the missing anodizing and edge wear.

If the Aero mount comes in heavy too, maybe I'll go with a V7 CH and port it, apply RTV, and maybe channel it like the PRI too. That should net some fractions of an ounce back.

While I was dinking around in the safe I pulled my 6933 out. I always felt like it was about the perfect weight without the can, so I tossed it on the scale:

At 6 pounds and 8.80 ounces, it comes out pretty close to where I want this build to end up with optic and suppressor. It's going to be tough to keep the weight from creeping up with add-ons and gewgaws though.

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

On a whim I weighed my extra Sabre Defense 10.5" Grendel barrel.

1 pound, 12.15 ounces = 28.15 ounces

I'm too lazy to go digging out the spares/junk boxes this morning, so I'll believe V7 for now and deduct 1.305 ounces for a GI barrel nut. That gets it down to 26.845oz. Anyone know the weight of a GI .750" gas block and A2 handguard retainer cap offhand? Maybe about 4.5 ounces together. That'd net out around 22.345 ounces for the 10.5" Sabre barrel with extension. I'll weigh some parts later on just for the sake of curiousity.

Comment

• Zapp
                  Unwashed
                  • Sep 2014

The detail work on those receivers are pretty impressive. That would be interesting to see from Balios how much was saved with hollowing out the rail.

Originally posted by Variable View Post
                  I probably wouldn't want to build this as a Beowulf.LOL That would be shell shock.
                  I was running my Beowulf on my Cav Arms lower, which I think is over a pound lighter than a standard Aluminum setup. And this was an earlier Beowulf, no muzzle brake. It was punishing, and you could really feel the difference that weight made when you put it back on a standard lower.

This is a very neat build, keep up the great work!

Comment

• Variable
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Zapp View Post
                    The detail work on those receivers are pretty impressive. That would be interesting to see from Balios how much was saved with hollowing out the rail.

I was running my Beowulf on my Cav Arms lower, which I think is over a pound lighter than a standard Aluminum setup. And this was an earlier Beowulf, no muzzle brake. It was punishing, and you could really feel the difference that weight made when you put it back on a standard lower.

This is a very neat build, keep up the great work!
                    Yeah, I'm really happy with this Balios-Lite set so far. I thought they were pretty neat when I ordered them, but after I got them in my hands and took a good look my opinion went even higher. They put a lot of attention into the details when they started carving. There were more places they hit than I had seen in the pics. As long as they don't break, I'm in love.

Beowulf-- Yeah that was a real pill on a Cav Arms with no brake I'll bet.LOL

Burke appears to have won. Vertex Ops emailed me that they have the 90deg. V7 selectors in route, so I just went ahead and ordered the V7 charging handle, 90deg. selector, and another Geissele SSA-E trigger set.....

Burn plastic, burn.....

Comment

• burkew23
                      Warrior
                      • May 2013

Hey now! I never said anything about the safety's.... but yes I do win

Muahahaha

But at least it's getting closer right? Have you had anymore luck on picking a suppressor?

Comment

• Variable
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Aero Precision lied too.... 3.30 ounces.

When you name your product "Ultralight" and advertise it as being 2.98 ounces, I don't expect it to be overweight by more than 10% of what you brag about....

Grrrrrr!

As my head was never blown off, and my velocities and bullet weights seem fine, I don't expect RCBS was fibbing about the checkweights from my powder scale when I used them to verify this scale's accuracy....
                        Last edited by Variable; 09-08-2014, 09:15 PM.

Comment

• cory
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2012

You could always chop off the back lug and just really on 2 bolts. Not sure if that'll affect the mount's ability to hold zero, though.
                          "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Variable
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

Yeah, I was looking with an eye towards chopping or drilling, but they didn't leave a lot of "meat on the bone" to work with. I'll most likely just leave it "as-is", and just complain a lot about it.LOL

Ordinarily 3 tenths of an ounce is trivial, but when you pay this much to chase fractions, and their whole selling point is weight.... Well, that kind of chaps my butt a might. I'll just bitch about it.LOL

Comment

• Variable
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by burkew23 View Post
                              Hey now! I never said anything about the safety's.... but yes I do win

Muahahaha

But at least it's getting closer right? Have you had anymore luck on picking a suppressor?

Suppressor: I'm currently waiting on my dealers license renewal. As far as which can goes--- I'm currently still leaning towards the Templar Tactical Ark30. I prefer the size of the Nemesis30, but I don't know if it'd be quiet enough for my purposes. It sucks not being able to hear one on a SBR.

Comment

• cory
                                Chieftain
                                • Jun 2012

When did you order your mount? I ordered one on Labor Day (Thanks to this damn thread :/. This is suppose to cost you money, not me! HAHA)

Anyways, I paid $15.99 shipping on a 3oz mount. I thought at that price they'd get it shipped that following Tuesday and I'd get it by the end of the week or at the latest today. At least that's what I expected at that S&H price.

What didn't show up by today. My mount! :/ I haven't even received a tracking number. If it's not here by tomorrow, I'm calling and canceling it. And I'll spend a little more and get an ADM AD-RECON-S 20MOA.

Rant over.
                                "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X