• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

AA Incursion Upper Hog & Predator Carbine

This is the rifle I am getting together for my daughter to use. For some reason, she found my 20" heavy barreled rifle a bit weighty for her to carry, but she likes to shoot it. Now when we go hunt, she can carry this in, although she tells me that she still wants to shoot MY rifle. We shall see. I think she will like this one when it is finished.

I put an AA 16" lightweight upper with a carbon fiber handguard on a Rock River lower I had secreted away in the safe for just such an emergency. I put a Battle Arms Development ambi safety on it along with a Troy QD sling detach on the front. Not shown here, but it will also sport a Tactical Brass Recovery brass catcher like I run on my Grendel. It is shown here with an Armasight Zeus Pro 2-16x, 50mm 60hz thermal weapon sight that I will be evaluating next, or maybe my daughter will. :-)

The RR lower came with a standard single stage trigger that was alright...until I tried sighting in the rifle. It is a bit heavy with a bit too much creep. Trying to pull as slowly and smoothly as possible, it could be a like a 2 or 3 stage trigger which was really annoying. Pullll-catch, pulll-catch, pulll-BANG. Suffice it to say that it isn't very smooth. As the daughter likes my LMT 2 stage match trigger, and as this trigger helped me screw up a nice grouping, I ordered a Geissele 2 stage to install. It should be here this week. I am sure she will like this over the LMT trigger which is pretty nice, but not Geissele nice.

I put about 20 rounds through it last week using a day scope to verify the upper's hunting potential. I was not disappointed in the accuracy at 100 yards. The first 10 rounds or so were with Wolf's PPU just to get me on paper and close. I did not assess the Wolf ammo. I then shot for groups with Hornady 123 gr. SST and AA's 90 gr. Speer TNT. I had a fine group going with the multi slow pull trigger routine when I blew the fifth shot. I yanked it. Errrrrr.

Next came the Alexander Arms' 90 gr Speer TNT ammo. It did nearly as good.

It was too hot and I ran out of time for testing the other ammo. It will have to wait for another day. Right now, it looks like both the SST and TNT will work fine for our hunting needs in terms of accuracy.

I should get the new test scope sighted in by Wednesday, hopefully with the new trigger installed, and be hunting with it Wednesday night. And then the daughter should have it out later this month. We also will be attending a hunter's education class this month and get her properly licensed. Woohoo!
    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • 204 AR
    Warrior
    • Sep 2015

Looks good! Lucky guy to have the daughter want to go with you. I have 3, the oldest is 11 and so far they are much more interested in Barbies, games, books and computers! Though 1 did shoot some pdogs with me the other day, I can't get them all that interested in going.

Comment

• customcutter
      Warrior
      • Dec 2014

WooHoo indeed! I didn't think the Predator would be going on the daughters Grendel, but I have been wrong before. That's going to be one fine looking pig killing machine. How soon before you get another "pinger" attachment? Just so we'll all know it's a family affair.

Comment

• 1075 tech
        Warrior
        • Apr 2015

How do you like that AA 16" lightweight? I was looking at those today on their site. It should fit my need (desire) for a hunting Grendel. Or maybe the 18"? Looking at 500yd max for whitetail but most within 100-150.

Comment

• 1075 tech
          Warrior
          • Apr 2015

NCM_0078.jpg

Not a Grendel, but couldn't help myself. My daughter last year with her first deer. A small doe but she got a neck shot at =/-100yds in the woods with my sons lefty 243

Comment

• am4966
            Chieftain
            • Jul 2014

You know what would make that incursion a little bit lighter a minimalist stock in Scorch Dark Earth, the stock is 5oz or there about. I've heard those armasight Zeus Pros are nice!
            12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
            Surge - Rugged Suppressor
            Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2013

The stock looks interesting. Is it longer than a typical collapsing stock. I like the shortest pull possible (I shot a lot CQB style from the center of the chest, not the shoulder) and my daughter has short arms.

I will let you know how it goes with the Zeus Pro. This isn't the big 4x with the 100mm giant honkin' lens, but a 2x with a reasonable lens and about a pound less than the bigger unit. I wish it was mine and not just a loaner to test.

Comment

• am4966
                Chieftain
                • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                The stock looks interesting. Is it longer than a typical collapsing stock. I like the shortest pull possible (I shot a lot CQB style from the center of the chest, not the shoulder) and my daughter has short arms.

I will let you know how it goes with the Zeus Pro. This isn't the big 4x with the 100mm giant honkin' lens, but a 2x with a reasonable lens and about a pound less than the bigger unit. I wish it was mine and not just a loaner to test.
                I have one for my build and I can measure it.
                Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2013

Please do. That would be terrific.

Comment

• jawbone
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2012

lucky Dad, and lucky Daughter. unlucky hogs.

Comment

• am4966
                      Chieftain
                      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                      Please do. That would be terrific.
                      7" 2/16 that's how low it is and feels great shouldered. The small rubber butt plate prevents slippage.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                        Chieftain
                        • Sep 2013

Thank you! That makes it just a smidge longer is all.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                          Chieftain
                          • Sep 2013

Alright, after having been out with the Incursion a few times, I really like it! It is compact, light, and accurate. These are critical features that I wanted.

Now, the downside. The carbon fiber handguard has a series of screws that stick out as nubbins. You can see them equally spaced on the handguard in the opening picture. These screws protect the threading that is really to accommodate screws used to mount rails. On the sides and top, these protective nubbin screws are not a problem. On the bottom, the protruding nubbins make the upper difficult to rest on a flat surface and you can find it difficult to slide the upper as the nubbins catch on the edge. In particular, what I am talking about is resting the rifle in the various hunting blinds I use and finding that the optical position is often on top of a nubbin which is about the least steady position to be in for sighting. It is more of balancing, than resting.

Oh, and the nubbin screws are apparently affixed at various tightnesses and NOT with loctite. I have had several work loose during the limited amount of firing I have done.

Also, AA only offers the short little 3" rails with this upper. I don't know if anyone else offers rails with screw holes at the appropriate distance, and radiused, that are longer than the little 3" rails and that will fit the Incursion. I will maybe check Cabela's this weekend as they seem to have a large selection. If anyone has any suggestions, I appreciate hearing them.

Comment

Working...
                          X