X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

Yes, I wanted to say something about this as well after just getting back from 5 days of elk hunting, going out every day 2x for dusk and dawn windows.

Once we disembarked the ATV's or horses at the trail block, I used a full momentum stroke to chamber a round. When I insert the mag, I use the push/pull method, so that it has to be seated fully.

I slingshot or load from a bolt hold open position. If the forward momentum of the BCG isn't fast enough, you won't get a full return to battery.

Many hunters who use the AR15 prefer the forward assist for this reason, but I'm not a big fan of forward assist personally, although I think those who want to chamber quietly have a valid argument for it in a hunting situation.

The other option is a side cocking handle attached to the bolt carrier, like on the AA Lightweight Hunter.

One thing I like about the ambi charge handles is that you can treat them like a side cocking handle if you want to use that muscle memory.

I'm going to start a thread about fine tuning an AR15 for hunting where you are out stalking like we were, then getting into static positions.
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
    X