• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ragedracer1977
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2015

My daughter got her first Elk!!!!!!

Holy crap, I'm the proudest dad right now. We went out last Thursday (both my kids had tags). Set up camp. We walked miles and miles Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. We got up at 4:30 every morning, hunted til dark every night. We saw 5 elk in total. My son had the first opportunity Saturday morning. Elk spooked us. We had literally just gotten out of the truck and were unloading gear. Shut the doors, turned around and a very small bull and a cow were 20-30yds out in front of us, looking at us. He tried to line up a shot, but the scope caps were still on. By the time he figured out why he couldn't see through the scope, the elk trotted off and he couldn't get a clean shot.

2nd time was Saturday evening, we spotted 2 cows and a bull. Stalked in a little, took a knee and lined up a shot. Unfortunately, the only Elk he had a shot on was the bull. Couldn't take it and we lost them after that. Didn't see any more.

I busted my ass at work this week to get off early and take my daughter for one last chance. She had a half day so it worked out perfect. We drove up to our chosen spot. Got out, loaded up our gear and started walking. We arrived at our spot at 4:02 pm. We walked for a few minutes, maybe 200 yds into the woods. Spotted a small herd (5-6 cows) about 60 yds out through the trees. They didn't even notice us. We were walking into the wind and they were feeding. She took a knee, lined up her shot and fired. It was 4:17 pm. Elk jumped up, did a 180, fell straight down. Kicked once. Didn't move again.

Rifle was a 16" barrel 6.5 Grendel with handload 123 grain Hornady SST projectiles, form 1 suppressor. 2450 FPS 10' from the muzzle. She hit the cow right at the end of the scapula. It did not exit. Destroyed the back of the scapula. I did not recover the bullet, but I did not cut into the chest cavity. I believe it punctured the lungs, as there were bubbles forming under the skin when we skinned her. Also, it must have stopped the heart essentially immediately as there was zero bleeding. I've never shot an elk before, and I've only watched youtube videos on how to cut her up, so I was just making sure to get the meat. We quartered her, grabbed backstraps and tenderloins. I did not do a pretty job.

Hunting with a suppressor was pretty awesome. She took the shot and I heard a very solid THWACK so I knew she had gotten a good hit. The other elk looked at the one that was hit, watched her for a minute, and then went right back to feeding. The did not move on until we started walking over to the downed elk.

Pics!

Point of impact:

My daughter and her first Elk!!!

Packing meat:

• AZ. Old Guy
    Warrior
    • Jan 2015

Congrats. Great story.
    NRA Lifer

Comment

• GSPHunter
      Warrior
      • Jun 2014

Good Job! Those sst's come apart pretty easy, so I'd bet when it hit the scapula, it just exploded...got the job done though! This is my favorite way to cut up big game, even a moose usually only takes a couple of hours :-)
      This video will show you a step-by-step method to field dress a moose, no matter how or where the animal has fallen. Produced by the Alaska Department of Fish and…

This video will show you a step-by-step method to field dress a moose, no matter how or where the animal has fallen. Produced by the Alaska Department of Fish and…

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

Out-fricking-standing!
        Kill a hog. Save the planet.
        My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• robertc1024
          Bloodstained
          • Aug 2015

Tell her congrats!

Comment

• Buck2732
            Warrior
            • Feb 2012

Wow and well done, that should keep the family fed for a while.
            Buck2732

"You will know you are in a nuclear attack by the bright flash, loud explosion, widespread destruction, intense heat, strong winds and the rising of a mushroom cloud".

"I have no idea what weapons will be used in the next world war... but I do know that world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones". A Einstein.

PER ARDUA

Comment

• 1075 tech
              Warrior
              • Apr 2015

Congrats to daughter and dad! That's one of those one time feelings you won't forget.

Comment

• am4966
                Chieftain
                • Jul 2014

Great job, I can only imagine how you feel. Now your daughter has bragging rights over her brother, lol.
                12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
                Surge - Rugged Suppressor
                Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• PA_Allen
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

Congratulations! Great story.
                  - PA

Comment

• Hoser1
                    Bloodstained
                    • May 2015

Congratulations......... Tenderloins,eggs and taters is the best!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• montana
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2011

Congratulations to your daughter, and some good eating for awhile. You did remember to take the ivory teeth didn't you?

Comment

• Ragedracer1977
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by montana View Post
                        Congratulations to your daughter, and some good eating for awhile. You did remember to take the ivory teeth didn't you?
                        Remember? Shit I didn't even know they existed. This is the first large animal anyone in my family had ever killed.

Yes, that's right, my daughter got an elk before her brother, and her dad, and her grandpa.

I called a buddy when we the elk was down and he told me about the ivories. So we got them!

Comment

• Jackem
                          Bloodstained
                          • Dec 2014

Congrats! It warms this old man's heart to see them youngsters pitching in on the packing out part...

Comment

• san antonio fj
                            Bloodstained
                            • Mar 2015

great jobs, awesome daughter

Comment

• VASCAR2
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Great report and pictures, thanks for posting. Memories for a life time, gotta love it!

Comment

Working...
                              X