• Chuck
    Unwashed
    • Feb 2019

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Passing the torch

Well, I've tallied all the entries, to date, and have come up with what I will submit as my final repost of the charts, plus a couple more that I'd promised to a couple of board members.

First, the charts to bring the series up to date, adding a new game animal (Ram Sheep).
      Slide1.jpg

As seen above, the 123 still remains King of the Hill when it comes to sheer popularity and efficacy. We can also see that the majority of the shots are within 300 yards, and the vast majority of shots result in the animals expiring in under 50 yards, with most of those DRT.

Next, the Bullet selection by animal.

Slide2.jpg

Feel free to see what others are using on what animals, and in what numbers. Remember, these are all kills.

Finally, I've added a couple of new charts at the request of a couple of members, illustrating shot distribution by animal and by barrel selection. I was surprised to see just how many people had actually provided barrel lengths and, at 100+ barrels, I feel the sample is now statistically significant. From the looks of the data, the 18" barrel wins the popularity contest. Interestingly, though, the 16's and the 12's have virtually the same reports, but the 12 and under barrels are fairly new. Perhaps revisiting this in the future, we could see just how effective the shorties are, as they become more prevalent.

Slide3.jpg
      The distribution by animal chart is presented to show just how effective the Grendel is on various animals, over the reported ranges. It becomes clear to the reader that, while the majority of the shots fall within 300 yards, a very significant number of clean kills are made well beyond.

Conclusion:

At this point, I think that the original purpose of this thread has been well served, and proves the OP's point quite effectively; that the Grendel has "Knock Down" capabilities in abundance.

Thanks to all of you hunters and varminters who've contributed to this survey. Your efforts have enabled us to show that the Grendel is, without question, vastly more than a simple paper-punching, target cartridge.

I don't anticipate providing any further updates and, unless the OP desires to resume caretaker-ship of this survey, any further contributions will likely be uncompiled.

Enjoy!
      Last edited by NugginFutz; 02-08-2019, 01:45 PM.
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Roe
        Warrior
        • Dec 2014

Impressive refinement of the numbers, thanks! I will not be able to carry it further, as said the potential of the Grendel should be illustrated beyond all doubt now.

Comment

• CaptnC
          Warrior
          • May 2018

4/19/2019
          Wife shooting her 6.5 Grendel
          Comanche Texas
          70ish sow hog
          107 yards
          120gr Speer Gold Dot
          Hornady brass
          H335 powder
          2420fps
          18" SS BCA Barrel

Entry; lower right leg, caught heart and exited same area of left front leg. Broke both front shoulders.

Comment

• 32Ballew
            Bloodstained
            • Oct 2018

2 cow elk here. Both at 120 yards. 123 sst. 18” AA Hunter. Both shots in the head. Drt.

-antelope buck 150 yards, behind the shoulder drt.
            -antelope doe 350 yards, right behind the shoulder. She went 100 yards but left a massive blood trail.

-several white tail does, they all drt.
            -1 white buck shot in the chest, he drt.

So, my oldest son turns 12 in August. Ordered him a Howa Mini and 2 days after it showed up he unexpectedly drew a trough bull elk tag. Thoughts?

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Just a reminder to everyone - this survey is no longer active. No further kills will be tallied.

Thanks to all who contributed.
              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Squid
                Bloodstained
                • Aug 2018

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                Just a reminder to everyone - this survey is no longer active. No further kills will be tallied.

Thanks to all who contributed.
                I was pleased to add Ram to the list. I got a second one with the Grendel last week at over 300 yards. The 6.5 Grendel is by far my favorite AR15 hunting cartridge.

Comment

• Jeepster18_88
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2019

Thanks to all the people that contributed. I wish that a lot of the data was omitted because head shots are an easy way to taint this kind of data. In this way, a 22lr is just as effective as a 6.5 Grendel or 50 BMG, which we all would agree that it isn't, but the data would suggest it. I went through the pages and looked at the remaining shots and the Grendel still looks very effective. I noticed that no one posted anything with the Speer TNT so there's a lot of information that hasn't been shared so I hope people will continue to add to this even if it's not being tallied up. Thanks again to everyone!

Comment

• NugginFutz
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Jeepster18_88 View Post
                    Thanks to all the people that contributed. I wish that a lot of the data was omitted because head shots are an easy way to taint this kind of data. In this way, a 22lr is just as effective as a 6.5 Grendel or 50 BMG, which we all would agree that it isn't, but the data would suggest it. I went through the pages and looked at the remaining shots and the Grendel still looks very effective. I noticed that no one posted anything with the Speer TNT so there's a lot of information that hasn't been shared so I hope people will continue to add to this even if it's not being tallied up. Thanks again to everyone!
                    Look at it this way, Jeepster - by omitting certain samples based on shot placement, you skew the overall numbers. If you think the 22LR has the same efficacy as the 6.5 Grendel (which I know you really aren't suggesting), then a similar survey of all the shots on game animals, head, body etc., would prove your point.

As a consolation, though, here is a link to a thread recently started which allows for people to continue to record their accomplishments...

Grendel Game Animal and Varmints Kill Tote Thread

Comment

Working...
                    X