Anyone have a nice round made up for Black Bear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a nice round made up for Black Bear?

Been thinking about using my .264 on black bear, but would like to use a heavier hunting bullet.

Barnes

If I were loading for black bear, I would use the 120 Barnes. Black bears are not that tough, and that bullet would be more than sufficient in th Grendel.

Comment

The 129 gr SST will likely do well too. The HITS score for the 120 gr TSX at 2290 ft/sec is 676, which is adequate for black bear per Hornady (http://www.hornady.com/hits/calculator). Of course, you'll need to run your own numbers for the velocities and bullet weights you expect to connect with your bear.

Here is a discussion of the Grendel compared with other cartridges for hunting: http://shootersnotes.com/grendelmani...t-the-grendel/

Comment

Consider the 130gr Swift Scirrocco on bear. It will penetrate a little better than the SST but not expand as much. I can tell you it works on smaller bear. I have not used the 120 barnes on bear but suspect it would be better still.

Comment

The Swift would be a good choice also. I've used it in a 300 WSM to take black bear, grizzly bear, moose, sheep, and caribou at many different velocities and they perform superbly. Since they went to the Scirocco II I haven't got them to shoot as accurately but if you get them to shoot they have great terminal performance.

Comment

nosler partition

I would recommend a partition for bear, especially if it is a short range brush shot. I would look at the heavier the bullet the better, I would go with the 125 grain parition. the 140 might be to big and reduce case capacity, and the 100 is a little on the small side for bear.

Comment

A few years ago I worked up a 140 grain Partition with Blc 2. I thought it was"OK" . I no longer have the exact figures but as memory serves it shot just a little over 1 moa. More recoil than I liked in a Grendel. Placed about 2" lower on target @ 100 yards than a 120 gr with the same powder load.

Comment

• RangerRick

Originally posted by hm2 clark View Post
                Consider the 130gr Swift Scirrocco on bear. It will penetrate a little better than the SST but not expand as much. I can tell you it works on smaller bear. I have not used the 120 barnes on bear but suspect it would be better still.
                What powder and loads are you guys using with the Scirocco?

Thanks!

RR

Comment

I always use BLC (2). Went up to 27.gr of powder without pressure signs in a bolt action gun. I think I was able to load them long because of bullet shape. But the recoil was notiable .. like maybe a 257 bob.

Comment

Oh And I have used that loading on 250 lb hogs. They work. Lots of penetration through bone and grissle. Lots of knock down power. I dont think I would use that heavy of a loading in my ar action.

Comment

• RangerRick

Originally posted by hm2 clark View Post
                      I always use BLC (2). Went up to 27.gr of powder without pressure signs in a bolt action gun. I think I was able to load them long because of bullet shape. But the recoil was notiable .. like maybe a 257 bob.
                      Wow, interesting. The Alexander Arms data for the Swift Scirocco shows 29.4 as the max for this bullet. I've seen pressure signs with some of their max loads but that was tenths of grains. I guess work up with caution applies here.

Thanks,

RR

Comment

If it helps at all I just took a nice cinnamon bear with a 35 Reminton 200 gr, Leverulution(?) and it dropped in it's tracks.

Comment

Same here, 35 Rem LeveR??? Lol Hornady. 103 yards iron sights, 51 yr old eyes! Lol

Comment

Working...
                          X