I have a choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a choice

I am taking a co workers 10y/o on his first hunt this weekend. The Grendel should be perfect for him. We should have the oppertunity for a small doe or large hog. Does anyone think one is better than another for a first kill?
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

A deer is the All-American classic first big game kill. BUT....I like bacon more than venison!!

Comment

Its going to be easier for him to kill the doe as shot placement will be key on a large hog. One of the guys i work with just put shot a 315 lb hog 3 times in the head before it went down. First shot was high on the head and it run off in the woods. He got down out of the stand to blood trail it and it came back and ate corn with blood spurting out. He fired a 2nd shot in the side of the head right behind the ear and it started wallering and kicking everywhere. he put one more in the same side and it died. He was using a 7mm mag but the ammo was soft point. None of the rounds penetrated the other side of the head. Russian Feral hogs are tanks. I would definately say go with the doe. But if you get a chance to kill a hog you really always should because they breed so fast and are aggressive and will run your deer off. If its brown its down lol. Good luck with your hunt with you and the little guy.

Keith

Comment

Just got in. We watched a doe feeding with her fawn for 6 hrs. We let it pass. Then right @ sundown 4 hogs came out. He shot one. Sow, 135 lbs 120 gr Reminngton went in one sholder fist sized hole far sholder bang thump. I got lucky on a runing smaller sow 123 gr Hornady comercial entered behind 1 ear exit far side ear, small hole and it ran 10 feet. Meat is @ processer. His mother should be proud.

Comment

• bwaites
          • Mar 2011

Congrats to BOTH of you! BACON!!

Comment

Excellent posts-and quick report from yesterday to today. That was nice...I guess you got your answer.

Comment

Working...
            X