• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frontier Gear
    Warrior
    • Nov 2017

Wolf ammo is "Minute of Deer"

I was finally able to get some time shooting in preparation for this fall's hunting season. The hood of my Jeep was the rest. 500 rounds of Wolf steel case had just showed up on my doorstep, so I had something to get things "on paper".

First up was an 18" BCA side charging upper. This same upper took my spike deer last fall. So I know that it likes the 123 grain Hornady ELD and it doesn't like the Wolf ammo at all. Since then I changed out the hand guard and barrel nut (aluminum gets really cold), so it needs to be re-checked. Five rounds down the pipe and I had about a 4 inch group at 100 yards. That's good enough to move on to the better ammo, which I will do at a later date. It didn't preform any better last year either when using Wolf so I'm not too worried about it.

Next was a pistol build from the 12 inch group buy Faxon barrel. I've function tested it before and shot at some old fruit and sticks, but have never gotten serious about sighting it in. This has open sights. Over the hood of my Jeep with Wolf ammo, it is "minute of deer" Probably a 5 or 6 inch group. Not real good, but again this is Wolf ammo, over the hood a Jeep and open sights. I'm undecided about this guy. I really didn't want to put a scope on it since it bounces around in my Jeep most of the time. I'm going to have to spend some more time with it. I was hoping to have something to keep with me in the Jeep for coyotes, skunks and marmots.

Finally was the Howa with a 20 inch lightweight barrel. This was the first time that I have ever shot it. It performed great. With Wolf ammo, it was just over a one inch group at 100 yards. That is if you don't count the flyers. The concerning thing was the number of flyers. At least one quarter of the rounds fired were out in the 3 to 5 inch circle, and they were all over the place. Some were high, some were to the left, others to the right. The rest were all grouped well together right where I wanted them. Really weird. I had half a box of Hornady 123 grain ELD left over from last fall, so I gave that a try in the Howa. No more flyers. An easy 1 inch group off the hood of my Jeep at 100 yards. I dialed the scope so that they were about 2 inches high at 100 yards.

There was a 10 inch gong hanging from a tree branch. My range finder said that it was 170 yards away from an old fence post. So I rested the Howa on the fence post and tried my hand at it with Wolf ammo. Even though the plate was spinning and swinging after the first shot, I was still able to smack it every time.

I'll get some more boxes of Hornady just to practice with in the Howa and to get the 18" BCA sighted in better. While the Wolf ammo is by no means the best, at least I know that I can take a deer with it at 100 yards in any of my Grendels.

The Howa is quickly becoming my new favorite hunting rifle. It's small, lightweight, has mild recoil, is magazine fed and is accurate. The action is smooth and the trigger pull is nice as well. It will be fun to see what it can do this fall.
    Engineer, FFL and Pastor
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

I feel your pain on the Wolf Ammo. Was not happy at all about the crap accuracy, and then to find out it's an undersized pill at .262 - in comes the Moscow Match.

If anything the Wolf can be used to refine your shooting technique - albeit hard since you won't be getting any downrange feedback as to what you are doing.

I have pondered contacting a barrel maker and seeing if they will bore a barrel .002 under spec for the lands and grooves and see how that does with the Wolf.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Frontier Gear View Post
      I was finally able to get some time shooting in preparation for this fall's hunting season. The hood of my Jeep was the rest. 500 rounds of Wolf steel case had just showed up on my doorstep, so I had something to get things "on paper".

First up was an 18" BCA side charging upper. This same upper took my spike deer last fall. So I know that it likes the 123 grain Hornady ELD and it doesn't like the Wolf ammo at all. Since then I changed out the hand guard and barrel nut (aluminum gets really cold), so it needs to be re-checked. Five rounds down the pipe and I had about a 4 inch group at 100 yards. That's good enough to move on to the better ammo, which I will do at a later date. It didn't preform any better last year either when using Wolf so I'm not too worried about it.

Next was a pistol build from the 12 inch group buy Faxon barrel. I've function tested it before and shot at some old fruit and sticks, but have never gotten serious about sighting it in. This has open sights. Over the hood of my Jeep with Wolf ammo, it is "minute of deer" Probably a 5 or 6 inch group. Not real good, but again this is Wolf ammo, over the hood a Jeep and open sights. I'm undecided about this guy. I really didn't want to put a scope on it since it bounces around in my Jeep most of the time. I'm going to have to spend some more time with it. I was hoping to have something to keep with me in the Jeep for coyotes, skunks and marmots.

Finally was the Howa with a 20 inch lightweight barrel. This was the first time that I have ever shot it. It performed great. With Wolf ammo, it was just over a one inch group at 100 yards. That is if you don't count the flyers. The concerning thing was the number of flyers. At least one quarter of the rounds fired were out in the 3 to 5 inch circle, and they were all over the place. Some were high, some were to the left, others to the right. The rest were all grouped well together right where I wanted them. Really weird. I had half a box of Hornady 123 grain ELD left over from last fall, so I gave that a try in the Howa. No more flyers. An easy 1 inch group off the hood of my Jeep at 100 yards. I dialed the scope so that they were about 2 inches high at 100 yards.

There was a 10 inch gong hanging from a tree branch. My range finder said that it was 170 yards away from an old fence post. So I rested the Howa on the fence post and tried my hand at it with Wolf ammo. Even though the plate was spinning and swinging after the first shot, I was still able to smack it every time.

I'll get some more boxes of Hornady just to practice with in the Howa and to get the 18" BCA sighted in better. While the Wolf ammo is by no means the best, at least I know that I can take a deer with it at 100 yards in any of my Grendels.

The Howa is quickly becoming my new favorite hunting rifle. It's small, lightweight, has mild recoil, is magazine fed and is accurate. The action is smooth and the trigger pull is nice as well. It will be fun to see what it can do this fall.
      FG:

Come on now, the summer sales haven't even started and you are getting ready to blast a deer?

Too bad you don't have any of the Wolf MPT. That stuff was more on line with your requirements. Probably the best overall ammo deal on Grendel stuff that existed.

LR55

Comment

• RMiller
        Warrior
        • Mar 2018

Is this soft point ammo or a fmj?

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Wolf Gold 120 grain MPT (Multi Purpose Tactical) bullet. I still have a few boxes stashed away. Ammo was loaded by Prvi Partizan and imported by Wolf. The cases are marked PPU but uses large rifle primers. The brass is not very good for reloading but I read where the bullet performed pretty good on deer.

Comment

• biodsl
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2011

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
            Too bad you don't have any of the Wolf MPT. That stuff was more on line with your requirements. Probably the best overall ammo deal on Grendel stuff that existed.

LR55
            Agreed. It shot .7 moa 3 shot groups in my Sabre Defense barrel. I'm pretty sure the 120 grain bullet is still available for purchase.
            Prvi Partizan was founded in 1928 and today produces over 350 types of rifle, pistol , revolver and small arms ammunition. Prvi Partizan bulk bullets feature a lead core and copper jacket. Imported from Serbia. This is not loaded ammunition.
            Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Frontier Gear
              Warrior
              • Nov 2017

LR55,
              I'm always ready to blast a deer. Besides, coyote and marmot season is perpetual

Sticks,
              Agreed, I can use the Wolf to practice my technique and for some fun "plinking".

The Marmots are out in full force too. I've been using a .22lr for them, but am now thinking of trying the Howa with Wolf ammo. The flyers may cause some misses, but that isn't the end of the world.
              Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• RMiller
                Warrior
                • Mar 2018

Sounds fun.

Comment

Working...
                X