• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Grendelizing 8 Swine Including First Speer TNT Twofer

It was a productive night. I started off at Elk Springs Ranch which is a high fence deer and exotics ranch that I have been hunting for the better part of a year. I have not killed any hogs there in a while because most of them appear to have been killed off and encountering the hogs is becoming harder and harder. I have a single game camera set up to watch a telephone pole they rub one and the camera caught only 2 hogs (never more than 2 at a time) in the last 5 weeks. A couple hours after arrival and I had a hog down.

The significance here is that I FINALLY managed to hit a humerus (shoulder bone) with the Speer TNT. I was afraid the bullet might shatter upon hitting heavy bone, but that was not the case. Instead, it seemed to perform more like a soft point bullet, staying together (mostly) and mushrooming.

I waited for a while, but spotted no other hogs and a drive through the property only revealed deer and exotics.

All the other hogs shot were through and throughs, including a twofer on some piglets at the end of the night.

Overall, the shooting was conservative, but very productive.

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Another great video DNS! Thanks for posting, TNT held together pretty good. Many times a hollow point bullet nose will collapse upon hitting a hard oject then burrow on through the barrier. I wonder if the 90 grain TNT has enough mass/weight for the impact velocity to where it just doesn’t fragment real fast so it actually penetrates deeper. In soft tissue the bullet expands more and sheds mass. Hitting the bone might have affected how the bullet interacted with soft tissue after penetrating bone.

The bullet which penetrated both piglets was quite distructive, back piglet looked like he was loosing his innards as he ran.

Comment

• 37L1
      Warrior
      • Jan 2015

Good hunt, never gets old, nice shootin'!

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Good job.

Way to stay on the trigger D.

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
          Warrior
          • Jan 2014

Those illusive high fence hogs are a Bonus!!!

Nice bullet report

Comment

• Les
            Warrior
            • Oct 2016

Nice.
            Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• Goochylogic
              Warrior
              • Sep 2016

DNS, Great video. Question, what would you say is the farthest effective distance you would say for the 90gr bullet? Is it much different than a heavier bullet?

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Goochylogic View Post
                DNS, Great video. Question, what would you say is the farthest effective distance you would say for the 90gr bullet? Is it much different than a heavier bullet?
                I feel that these are fine out of my 18" barrel @ 2800 fps to 200 yards. Out of my 22" barrel, I was getting 2920 fps and killed a pig at 250, IIRC correctly, a 140 pounder. Generally speaking, 200 yards seems just fine as a top working limit, but not necessarily as an absolute limit.

The LOW BC and light weight means that they do not carry velocity very well over distance. So despite the higher velocity, their range is going to be shorter than something like 123 gr. SST. If you aren't shooting over 200 yards, I don't think you have anything to worry about for deer/hog-sized targets or smaller.
                Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Goochylogic
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2016

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                  I feel that these are fine out of my 18" barrel @ 2800 fps to 200 yards. Out of my 22" barrel, I was getting 2920 fps and killed a pig at 250, IIRC correctly, a 140 pounder. Generally speaking, 200 yards seems just fine as a top working limit, but not necessarily as an absolute limit.

The LOW BC and light weight means that they do not carry velocity very well over distance. So despite the higher velocity, their range is going to be shorter than something like 123 gr. SST. If you aren't shooting over 200 yards, I don't think you have anything to worry about for deer/hog-sized targets or smaller.
                  DNS, thanks for answering back. Looks like you have put this bullet on the map for critters other than groundhogs and such. We dont have hogs here in Va, at least not in my area. I will this ammo a try. If I luck up on a deer or yote will let you know how they do. Thanks again and always enjoy your videos.

Comment

Working...
                  X