• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Shooting Hogs Through an Open Gate

I had not seen hogs on this property in a while and there had been no new reports of hog damage. The winter wheat field had been grazed down to next to nothing by the cattle, but there is plenty of water on this property and long open views, so I set up before dark in hopes of catching a cruising boar. Instead, I spotted a sounder in the next pasture and figured they would come into the old wheat pasture. They didn't. Even worse, they were hanging with the cattle. I followed them as they moved and I moved in among the cattle and managed to safely shoot two. I used an open gate to define my shooting lane, identifying no cattle close to the gate and so knowing that any shots through the gate posed little threat to any cattle. That was probably a lot more of a safety buffer than I needed, but the extra level of caution removed any concerns of possible mishap.

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • HuntTXhogs
    Warrior
    • Jan 2014

That was quite a mixture of cattle and hogs , good idea to use the fence as visual brackets on the hogs.

You sure that lighting bolt wasn’t set off by the residual energy of your 90 grain TNTs

Comment

• 1Shot
      Warrior
      • Feb 2018

Smart choice using the gate as a safe zone measuring, would really be bad to shoot a cow. I almost talked myself into getting a box of Speer 90 gr TNT bullets to reload today at a local sporting goods but decided not to because I already have a BUNCH of different bullets to do more work with. I have only really been working with one rifle so far and have another one to go before deer season. So far I have the one shooting Speer 120 Gold Dots sub MOA at 2550 fps. It has been a problem child 20" BCA barrel. 18" Oden Works seems to shoot most anything under 1 1/2" but quickly found 120 Sierra Pro Hunters will go under 1/2" at 2550 fps. Keep popping them pigs and posting the videos, I enjoy them.

Comment

Working...
      X