• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frontier Gear
    Warrior
    • Nov 2017

Using the Marlin XT-22 as a Howa Practice Rifle

Last year I used a 6.5 Grendel in an AR to take my spike buck. This is my first year with the Howa. So in order to practice for this fall, I have my Marlin XT-22 set up like my Howa. Same scope, reticle and sling. It's actually a pretty good substitute for the Howa. The safeties operate similarly and they are about the same size, weight and trigger pull. It even has a DIPinc magazine well and trigger guard like my Howa

In the evenings, I go out and try my hand at helping the neighbor by ridding her range of marmots (rock chucks, ground hogs, whistle pigs, whatever you want to call them...) They make lots of holes for the cows to twist their legs in. One calf has already broken a leg this year. I walk the trails and keep an eye out for the furry little guys. After tonight there are 5 less. My main goal is to get better at shooting (accurately) while free standing with just the sling for stabilization.

I find that while range time is always good, it doesn't replace actual time in the woods (at least for me anyways). Being able to spot the target, get a good sight picture and a steady aim before the target leaves isn't easy. At the range everything is consistent and you have all the time in the world. In the woods it is a different story. More practice means a more stable shot with less chance of buck fever kicking in.

I still plan on some more range time with the Howa between now and the start of hunting season (Sept. 1st), but the little 22 is making for some fun field practice.
    Engineer, FFL and Pastor
  • just_john
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2012

Some folks have all the fun!

Comment

• ricsmall
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

FG

you are correct as far as field practice being much more useful than range time for hunting. I’ve gotten lots of running target practice with the feral hogs over the last few years. My little Howa in Grendel is my do everything rifle now with the exception of my long range shots. Over 300 and I take my 260AI. Great fun!!
      Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack

Comment

• Frontier Gear
        Warrior
        • Nov 2017

Had some range time with the Howa today instead of field time with the XT-22. It looks like the practice is paying off though. At 100 yards, this isn't too bad for a redneck shooting off the hood of his Jeep and using a tow strap and sweater as a rest. Each little square is a 1/4 inch.

The wolf ammo isn't too bad really. One flyer, just like I noticed before.
        Howa 20 inch LW 100yd 100gr Wolf.jpg

It definitely likes the Hornady 123 grain ELD. Too bad that I'm out of it now.
        Howa 20 inch LW 100yd 129gr ELD.jpg

I need to try it again with the SSTs.
        Last edited by Frontier Gear; 07-27-2018, 04:42 AM.
        Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

Working...
        X