3 Boars, Sow, And Coyote With Very Good Hearing (Maker T-Rex, Speer TNT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

3 Boars, Sow, And Coyote With Very Good Hearing (Maker T-Rex, Speer TNT)

First, the coyote. I thought this was hilarious. I tried to call it in with lipsqueaking as Ben was setting up. It ran back further to a safe position. Ben asked for the distance and I guessed 200 yards. Looking at the map after the hunt, he was 200-250 yards away. Ben went to disengage his safety and it got away from him. The noise of the safety disengaging was made and was noticeable, but not anymore so than our talking, I didn't think, but that noise was the exact wrong noise for the coyote that was already on edge and it retreated back to the edge of the woods. So, I had to give him a bit of a hard time, LOL.

Before that, we dropped a nice boar jointly with two lethal shots. Ben's Maker Bullets T-Rex 85 gr. copper monolithic punched into the hog at heart level after opening immediately as it punched through the hide (large entry hole), literally severing the heart in two, breaking ribs on both sides before being trapped under the shield on the opposite side. It apparently was 100% intact or close to it because even after a fair cleaning, it weighed more than they are supposed to weigh. The bullet expanded beautifully. My Speer TNT 90 gr. bullet didn't fair too well on the weight retention, passing through shield, shoulder blade, rib, lung, spine (I could push my fingers between the vertebrae) lung, rib, shoulder blade and stopped under the shield. Both bullets seemed to do a fine job. And that is where the necropsy stuff stopped because the battery went dead on the metal detector and our later attempts to recover bullets on other hogs yielded only one T-Rex and it was like the first, expanded beautifully, slightly heavier than expected. We recovered that from the gut area and the contents of pig intestines are just nasty, but we got the bullet, LOL.

That was on a large boar that Ben shot from a sounder. His first shot was a tad off and after that, he just pumped several rounds into the hog (3 or 4) and the hog was discovered to be a mess because of the multiple wounds from T-Rex and also Speer Gold Dot. We found the one bullet and gave up on the literal mess.

The last hog was a fun 'spot and sprint' hunt. Ben spotted it. I verified the identification and noticed the hog was working away from us. We agreed that we "had to GO" and I took off leaving Ben at the truck. Being more than a decade younger than me, he caught me pretty quick, LOL. Fortunately, the hog slowed down and we were able to make a good final approach with the boar literally being yards from freedom.

We drove around for a couple more hours with no more hogs sighted and called it a night.

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Great vid as always DNS.

Those trex bullets sure look good, can't wait till some bacon cross's my path, hopefully soon.

What barrel length is Ben useing?

Comment

• HuntTXhogs
      Warrior
      • Jan 2014

A5 -

Thanks again for the opportunity to test these Makers out.

I’m running an 18” 1:8 twist barrel

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by HuntTXhogs View Post
        A5 -

Thanks again for the opportunity to test these Makers out.

I’m running an 18” 1:8 twist barrel
        Hey no problem sir.

I picked up 2 box's of the 95 grain loaded ammo to try as well with my 85 grain handloads.

Oh and bullets got mailed yesterday so sometime next week they should be in your hands, keep the cases they are new unfired cases, just pull the bullet dump and clean the powder out and reload.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

That 85gr TREX is brutal. .7" to .8" expansion, 100% weight retention, full body penetration...what's not to like?
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2013

The only downside I see to them is the the same for other monolithic bullets - the price. Of course, depending on one's situation, 70 cents for a bullet to be reloaded may be inconsequential.

Comment

• Les
              Warrior
              • Oct 2016

Wow, excellent performance with the Trex and shooting isn't too bad either.
              Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

DNS,

On a technical note, the muzzle velocity (MV) of 2,800fps you list on your videos for the Speer 90TNT...Is that over a chronograph or an estimate?... and from an 18" barrel?

I am trying to do a hand-load work-up with the 90TNT and have both Speer's max recommended and Quickload's (QL) max recommended limits to go by. Speer claims 3,000fps from a 24" barrel using 8208 powder. QL suggests a bit less but the program is always conservative. My chronographed MV out of an 18.8" barrel at the max-recommended SAAMI limits are slightly less than your ammo by about 50fps so just curious as to how you came about your MV.

I have been watching with interest your work with this bullet. For a short range flatter trajectory bullet it seems to be giving impressive results. Your thoughts on the one or two that kept running after multiple hits recently is my experience on occasion too. Multiple hits and they just keep hopping or running. I figure that as long as it doesn't happen every time it is just one of those statistical things. Every now and then you get a determined animal that does not want to play the game, and coincidentally is not hit in anything immediately incapacitating. On the other end of that 'animal attitude/focus' continuum I once saw a sheep lie down in the paddock with a fox on top of it trying to kill it. The sheep being larger could have remained standing and tried to live but it just gave up immediately. We shot the fox off the sheep's back and it just got up and calmly walked off back to the flock as if nothing had happened, weird.

My results;

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2013

Hello Klem,

That is a chronograph amount from an 18" barrel for the factory ammo. I think the average of the shots was actually 1803 fps. The sample size was 6. At the time, I had a box of ammo and that was it, so I didn't waste a lot playing around with the chrony.

Comment

• MutuallyAssured(MAD)
                    Bloodstained
                    • May 2018

Double Naught Spy,

Thank you for posting your videos on YouTube. I've found them very helpful.

I've been looking at the 85gr TREX for a high velocity 6.5G load, but haven't seen much about it, other than what you posted.

If the 90gr Speer TNT and 85gr Maker TREX were the same price, which one would you choose? Would your answer change if you were not in eradication mode (i.e., looking to preserve more meat without lead fragments)?

carpe sus!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                      Chieftain
                      • Sep 2013

Thanks for watching! As you can see, my YouTube channel is not monetized and I don't make anything from doing the videos. I get my kicks from the feedback (some of which is really good) and enjoy of hearing when what I have posted has been entertaining or helpful.

LOL, well if they were both T-Rex priced, I would go with SST. If they were both TNT priced, the question becomes one of your hunting preferences.

From the little I have seen of the T-Rex, it is a fast opening (almost immediately on this hog) round that holds onto its petals nicely despite being so light that is not a terribly deep penetrator. As HuntTXhogs told me, it is a CQB round designed to no overpenetrate. Also as he said, it isn't likely to be your twofer bullet (two hogs in one shot). My guess is that by the sturdiness of the petals that it is a higher velocity-opening round. Contrast that with the Cavity Back MKZ that will open well at lower velocities, but as I experienced, they tended to lose their petals. The T-Rex is going to be good if you are a meat hunter, drilling a big hole without a lot of fragments.

TNT 90 gr. at 2800 fps muzzle tends to fragment heavily. Apparently, it fragments less when it hits heavy big bone early on. It damages a lot of tissue and multiple fragments result in multiple wound channels. It can have enough punch to often overpenetrate with a piece or pieces on hogs less than 150 lbs (broadside shot). Penetration various considerably because of the fragmentation from about 8-12" which still isn't a whole lot. If you just want to kill the animal, this is a good round. If you really want to harvest as much meat as possible, this is going to pollute a lot of surrounding tissue meat with random fragments.

Bare in mind we have a lot more insight on the TNT than the T-Rex and that this is all my opinion based on what I can recall from off the top of my bald head.
                      Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 08-29-2018, 01:04 AM.

Comment

• MutuallyAssured(MAD)
                        Bloodstained
                        • May 2018

Double Naught Spy,

YouTube's outright censorship of some and demonization of content creators like you is disgraceful. Hopefully, Google will either correct itself and become content neutral (unlikely), or an alternative open platform will emerge and replace it. I have a lot of respect for you taking the time and energy to produce your videos to help/entertain people you don't even know. Thank you for your willingness to share your experience.

The go to hunting bullet, from what I can tell, appears to be 123gr Hornady SSTs, but the lethality of 90gr TNT surprised me. It's counterintuitive that a light-for-caliber varmint bullet would be as effective against hogs as mostTodd Huey's video where he eradicates an entire sounder by himself with .22 Nosler (high velocity, lightweight projectile) has prompted me to search for light for caliber/high velocity grendel options. From what I understand, Maker 85gr TREX

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                          Warrior
                          • Nov 2017

Keep it up—you're doing the horde's work!
                          Haha
                          Is it wrong that as a pastor, I find that funny?
                          Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• MutuallyAssured(MAD)
                            Bloodstained
                            • May 2018

Well, at least one person got it!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                              Chieftain
                              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by MutuallyAssured(MAD) View Post
                              Double Naught Spy,

YouTube's outright censorship of some and demonization of content creators like you is disgraceful. Hopefully, Google will either correct itself and become content neutral (unlikely), or an alternative open platform will emerge and replace it. I have a lot of respect for you taking the time and energy to produce your videos to help/entertain people you don't even know. Thank you for your willingness to share your experience.

Thanks, but I have not been censored or demonetized by YouTube. I have a few videos that are marked 18+ because of graphic necropsy work, but otherwise, YouTube has been fine for me.

I CHOOSE not to monetize my channel because I find the ads so danged annoying when I watch other folks works. I tried it early on and I hated what it did for my channel.

The horde works in mysterious ways!

Comment

Working...
                              X