• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jasunderland
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2018

Cavity Back 118gr for White Tails

Was doing some reading on effective range for deer hunting with the Grendel. Started out with Hornady 123 GrSST's out of a 20" faxon barrel. Getting close to 2500 FPS. Where I hunt, I could take a shot a long as 500 yards (yes I know the ethics, you better be sure of your abilities...... ). After doing some research a couple different places show the SST stop expanding at about 1600 FPS and I think Hornady recommends 1800 FPS for reliable expansion. At 500 yards, I would be around 1650 FPS based on my ballistics calculator. (im sure we have all seen the video that shows it retained 100% of its weight at 1600 fps with zero expansion).

I then read about the Cavity Back Bullets. Their 118Gr on their website claims reliable expansion at 1600 FPS. Running the BC and Velocity through the ballistics calculator, it shows at 500 yards it would still be close to 1700 FPS...

A lot of the info I could find showed people using it for Hogs. Does anyone have any thoughts on using it for white tails out to 500 yards or more so, does anyone have any real world experience using these for deer?
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

An equal or bigger factor is penetration at that range.

At 500 the lightest weight I would go with would be 123 grains and would lean more to the 129/130 weight range for 500 yard kills.

Ablr will expanded down to 1300fps lower limit.

That would cover both sides of the killing equation.

You must also understand I put zero believe in the 1000# min that is what most everyone use's as power standard for killing power on whitetail deer.

I'm also a head/neck high shoulder shooter and at 500 I would be shooting for high shoulder to take out the shoulder spine and still hit top end of the lungs.

Hope this helps sir.

Comment

• Jasunderland
      Unwashed
      • Jan 2018

Ablr?

Comment

• Bigs28
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2016

Accubond long range

AccuBond Long Range bullets were developed in response to the escalating demand from long-range hunters who were asking for a hunting bullet that could keep up with today’s level of high-grade optics and ultra-high velocity cartridges in order to stretch practical shooting yardages past 1,000 yards.

Comment

• Schrambo
          Warrior
          • Oct 2016

Both bullets are very accurate in my 12-16" Grrs, but I don't take any shots past 200yds... That's just me, YMMV...

And 95% of my hunts are Mulies in coolies... Either very close or very far shots... Usually far...
          Last edited by Schrambo; 09-11-2018, 08:16 PM.

Comment

• Msalm
            Warrior
            • May 2018

I've had several friends/customers in the past shoot whitetails at healthy distances with the Grendel, that being 300-340 yards. They used the 100gr Ballistic tip as their bullet of choice with very good results. After 300 I feel that more powerful cartridges are a better choice due to the trajectory, retained velocity, and better bullet performance. The CBB's in the 118gr are long for caliber and would penetrate as deep as any cup and core 120-130 grain bullet IMO.

Comment

• s3silver
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

The 118 mkz is very long so I would not base your calculations off 2500 fps at the muzzle. I think most folks loading them are seeing more like 2400 fps. Also, copper bullets tend to build different pressures so start lower and work up.

I've loaded some up but have not had the chance to chrono them.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2013

I think most folks loading them are seeing more like 2400 fps.
                I was getting 2393 out of a 20" barrel.
                Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• zzrguy
                  Bloodstained
                  • May 2018

This is my first year hunting with the Grendel so I was hopen to find a heavy weight bullet my shots will be between 25 150 yards in a wooded area.

I've also load 210gr 30-06 for this area. So I'm a heavy handed when it come to my hunting bullet weight.
                  Last edited by zzrguy; 09-23-2018, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• Bigs28
                    Chieftain
                    • Feb 2016

The 129g ablr is on the heavier side.

Comment

• -Justin-
                      Bloodstained
                      • May 2017

Agree with the 129g ABLR loaded with CFE223 or AR-Comp for that range, although I don't have any real experience with the solid Cavity Back bullets. I prefer SST's and try to keep my shots <400y but will push a bit further depending on crosswind, aiming for the high shoulder shot at that range.
                      Last edited by -Justin-; 09-24-2018, 09:15 AM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

For people that like heavier bullets Hornady has 6.5/264 129 grain SST and 129 grain InterLock Soft Point. My Son in Law shoots these two bullets from his 22” Lothar Walther 6.5 CSS (Grendel). He hasn’t shot game with these bullets but they are accurate out of his 1:9 twist barrel.
                        Last edited by VASCAR2; 09-24-2018, 04:16 PM.

Comment

• Schrambo
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2016

CB does have a 105gr, if you're looking lighter/shorter...

Comment

• Caser
                            Bloodstained
                            • Mar 2018

27.1 of 8208 gave me 2440 avg out of an 18" AA barrel.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Msalm View Post
                              I've had several friends/customers in the past shoot whitetails at healthy distances with the Grendel, that being 300-340 yards. They used the 100gr Ballistic tip as their bullet of choice with very good results. After 300 I feel that more powerful cartridges are a better choice due to the trajectory, retained velocity, and better bullet performance. The CBB's in the 118gr are long for caliber and would penetrate as deep as any cup and core 120-130 grain bullet IMO.
                              A general guideline you can apply for solid bullets is that they behave more like a cup and core bullet that is 1.4 to 1.5 times their weight, since they don't tend to lose weight.

So for a 100gr bullet, they act more like a 140gr or 150gr soft point/expanding cup & core bullet.

So a 110gr copper solid will behave more like a 154-165gr soft point.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                              X