• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Squid
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2018

Desert Dall Ram Sheep Down - Troy Pump Action 6.5 Grendel

Desert Dall Sheep hunt this morning. The range was 250 yards. Rifle is Troy PAR rechambered to 6.5 Grendel. Bullet was Barnes TTSX 120 grain. We started glassing around 7am, spotted this group with a couple of Rams. They were headed to the ridge on the far side of the Valley. We put on our Ghille suits and waited for them to cross. At 11am, they hit the opening and I shot the biggest Ram in the heard. DRT

20180915_175818.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Squid; 09-22-2018, 03:48 AM. Reason: Attempting URL Photo Insert
  • Doon
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Squid View Post
    Desert Dall Sheep hunt this morning. The range was 250 yards. Rifle is Troy PAR rechambered to 6.5 Grendel. Bullet was Barnes TTSX 120 grain. We started glassing around 7am, spotted this group with a couple of Rams. They were headed to the ridge on the far side of the Valley. We put on our Ghille suits and waited for them to cross. At 11am, they hit the opening and I shot the biggest Ram in the heard. DRT

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12717[/ATTACH]
    Well done and nice horns as also.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Very nice, thanks for posting!

Comment

• Redomen
        Warrior
        • Jun 2016

Great ram!

Comment

• Dead Center Miss
          Warrior
          • Sep 2018

Nicely done!

Comment

• xlcc
            Warrior
            • Feb 2016

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12717[/ATTACH]
            Are you sure that is a Desert Dall sheep?It looks like a Desert Bighorn Ram to me.

Comment

• Squid
              Bloodstained
              • Aug 2018

Originally posted by xlcc View Post
              Are you sure that is a Desert Dall sheep?It looks like a Desert Bighorn Ram to me.
              100% positive.

20180917_212212.jpg
              Last edited by Squid; 09-22-2018, 03:50 AM.

Comment

• xlcc
                Warrior
                • Feb 2016

100% positive.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12726[/ATTACH]
                That's good to know.I have never heard of a Desert Dall Ram.I know Dall sheep from northern B.C.,Yukon and Alaska are pure white.

Comment

• CaptnC
                  Warrior
                  • May 2018

They are a non indigenous specie of domestic sheep that has been cross bred various exotic sheep to breed out the color so they look white.

During my guiding years I guided a couple guys to their Texas Grand Slam of sheep in the Kerriville area of the hill country.

Cool hunt...the "Texas Dall" was the only one I need to complete my Texas slam with a bow.

Congrats on a nice sheep!

Here is a link to some here in Texas:
                  Last edited by CaptnC; 09-19-2018, 08:07 PM.

Comment

• just_john
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2012

Awesome! Congratulations!!

Comment

• biodsl
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2011

Squid...I'm going to encourage you again to get a hold of Troy and let them know what you've done. A Grendel chambered pump action is just the ticket for some of the less free states in the Union. Congrats!
                      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Squid
                        Bloodstained
                        • Aug 2018

Thank you, everyone. I was experimenting with Flickr so hopefully the images loaded. As for the Desert Dall Ram, it's my understanding it's a cross between Corsican Sheep and Texas Dall. They are breed to give them a champaign color and released. As for contracting Troy, all I did was swap the PAR from a 300 BLK to a Grendel Type II bolt and barrel. They offer the PAR in .223, 300 BLK, 308, .243 Win, 7mm 08Rem and .338 Federal.

Comment

• Les
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2016

Hmmm, learned something new, PAR. Never laid eyes on one. Nice sheep too.
                          Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• Squid
                            Bloodstained
                            • Aug 2018

Originally posted by Les View Post
                            Hmmm, learned something new, PAR. Never laid eyes on one. Nice sheep too.
                            Thank you. Here is a better pic of my PAR.

For the Troy PAR, they offer several models for those of us in more gun restrictive states.

Comment

• Les
                              Warrior
                              • Oct 2016

I for one would be interested in seeing internal workings pictures. Honestly surprised they haven't figured out how to ban it, looks too scary. Looks good though. How difficult is it pump in the heat of battle? Enough contact area for your hand?
                              Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

Working...
                              X