• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

More Hogs, Failed Hog Call, Controlled Chaos 6.5 Creedmore Recovery Fail

So Here is the video that includes the hunt where we were confronted by neighbors who thought HuntTXhogs and I were poachers. As a result of that disturbance, only one hog was shot. (here is the thread discussing the confrontation http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...y-By-Strangers )

We tried calling a hog from the neighbor's property later in the night using a call that sometimes works. This time, it did not. The hog fled.

Got on to the last property with a sounder my partner spotted. He saw hogs crossing the road in front of us and going into the property we were about to visit. So we worked our way around to get on the hogs. His opening shot was with the 95 gr. Controlled Chaos brass round that had failed to perform in my Grendel (not opening and fragmenting). The goal was a lengthwise shot in hopes the carcass length would capture the bullet. Nope. And we ended up shooting that sow 4 times and was a mess. We used a metal detector and found a lot of fragments, particularly small pieces of copper jacketing, one partial Remington Accutip from the Creedmore, but no brass pieces. At a future time, more attempts will be made with the CC bullets through the Creedmore to see if they will open up at much higher velocities as they were supposed to do even down into Grendel velocities.

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • HuntTXhogs
    Warrior
    • Jan 2014

I was shocked the hog wasn’t DRT with the 95 grain Chaos bullet, the hog was definitely hit but i’ll keep trying (to shoot and recover a bullet).

The encounter with the posse was unexpected, due to the high concentration of noise I couldn’t hear the conversation much less the tone of what was going on back there , finally after an inordinate amount of time with their headlights on I figured something was up...

Glad we made the best of that

Comment

• Texas
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2016

Thank you for sharing the video. I am having pretty good success with sierra 100 gr bullets on hogs.

Comment

• zzrguy
        Bloodstained
        • May 2018

I need to get on some hogs. They closed hog season in new York cause they want to study the problem first. You know a problem that turns into a issue that turn in a disaster

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

Sounds like they are studying to fail.

Comment

• 1075 tech
            Warrior
            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by zzrguy View Post
            I need to get on some hogs. They closed hog season in new York cause they want to study the problem first. You know a problem that turns into a issue that turn in a disaster
            State DEC is afraid that if you shoot a hog, the rest will scatter and further their spread.

ZZR, where are you located? I have only heard of hogs in Delaware and Broome County along the river.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
              Chieftain
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by 1075 tech View Post
              State DEC is afraid that if you shoot a hog, the rest will scatter and further their spread.
              Missouri is operating on that belief as well. Hunting of feral hogs on public lands is no longer legal. They have indicated they are winning the war on feral hogs, but yet capture more and more each year.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

That's just stupid.

If you close a area to hog hunting you just lost that area to hogs, they can breed so fast in a years time they can over run a area.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2013

A5BLASTER, the belief is that shooting scatters hogs, which I think means pushes them into areas where they were not previously. The plan is to use sophisticated radio controlled (cell phone) traps that send pics or video in near real time to an operator who will spring the trap (door or the entire contraption) to capture the entire group of hogs in one fell swoop. The trap plan sort of works, but it works on the assumption that the whole sounder will be there. Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't. Missing from the group will be stragglers or as is sometimes the case, one of the sows who is bedded somewhere to give birth. Of course, the plan does not work for lone boars, but lone boars do no reproduce on their own.

By catching all or nearly all the hogs, they don't wind up with much in the way of trap-shy hogs.

So the whole notion is to catch the entire sounder at once. Sounds great. They can catch a lot of hogs that way, but so far it has never worked (that I have read) where they actually get all the hogs by traps. I have seen presentations by the JagerPro folks who claim to be able to study an area for a period of time and determine the sounders in operation there and their operational areas, know the population of each group, and then employ these traps followed up by hunting and hog dogging to eradicate hogs from a given area as verified by game cam images.

The real shortcoming is that they can't control everything, but they control for more than random hunting. A trapped out area will be quickly re-invaded from surrounding areas. Plenty of rifle hunters claim similar success, LOL. I have properties where I may not kill every last hog, but I get them to stop coming and the property will go sterile for a while and then be probed or invaded every so often from surrounding areas where no hog control measures are employed. I have seen the claims numerous times where rifle hunter say they have "eradicated" the hogs from a given property. In reality, they have killed a bunch and hazed the rest to not want to try coming back for a while.

That seems to be the nature of the problem as it stands. The one benefit to the radio trapping is that they get chunks of the population with a given swing and it all looks and sounds really scientific, almost like a military operation with maps and planning and such. No doubt politicians eat it up. In the end, I don't know that it actually works better.

Oregon and Kansas have similar programs. They are waging a good battle against the hogs and may have slowed their incursion into the state, but from the results I see, they have only slowed the inevitable. On another forum, I got read the riot act about how well Oregon is doing with their plan of not hunting hogs, keeping the population in check, hogs have spread significantly across the state since the start of the program...meaning it isn't actually working that well.

Target-specific poison will likely be the only way to control for hogs and really beat down the population, but as we find over and over, poisoning efforts often come with dire consequences, often unanticipated by the lawmakers that give the go ahead.

Whatever a plan is, it must be instituted everywhere by everyone. This will violate landowner rights one way or another, or otherwise make a lot of people really made. So long as you have sanctuary land (habitat where hog control methods are not used), there remains a core to repopulate. Think of hogs as a cancer. If you don't get it all, it will come back.
                  Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 10-25-2018, 05:33 PM.

Comment

• Keef
                    Warrior
                    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                    A5BLASTER, the belief is that shooting scatters hogs, which I think means pushes them into areas where they were not previously. The plan is to use sophisticated radio controlled (cell phone) traps that send pics or video in near real time to an operator who will spring the trap (door or the entire contraption) to capture the entire group of hogs in one fell swoop. T
                    Someone dumped a bunch of pot bellied pigs on my farm(some fixed, some not) and a neighbors. I was ready to have fun shooting them, when the USDA showed up and asked me not to, explained the remote camera human operated trap deal. I was skeptical, but told I'd let them try that first and it worked. Have not seen any or any sign of them since. This situation is of course different than with actual feral hogs. It was really weird seeing the tiny little pigs running around in the woods.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                      Chieftain
                      • Sep 2013

The idea has some merit, no doubt, but is doomed to fail because it is a piecemeal effort when dealing with actual feral hogs.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2015

A5BLASTER, the belief is that shooting scatters hogs, which I think means pushes them into areas where they were not previously. The plan is to use sophisticated radio controlled (cell phone) traps that send pics or video in near real time to an operator who will spring the trap (door or the entire contraption) to capture the entire group of hogs in one fell swoop. The trap plan sort of works, but it works on the assumption that the whole sounder will be there. Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't. Missing from the group will be stragglers or as is sometimes the case, one of the sows who is bedded somewhere to give birth. Of course, the plan does not work for lone boars, but lone boars do no reproduce on their own.

By catching all or nearly all the hogs, they don't wind up with much in the way of trap-shy hogs.

So the whole notion is to catch the entire sounder at once. Sounds great. They can catch a lot of hogs that way, but so far it has never worked (that I have read) where they actually get all the hogs by traps. I have seen presentations by the JagerPro folks who claim to be able to study an area for a period of time and determine the sounders in operation there and their operational areas, know the population of each group, and then employ these traps followed up by hunting and hog dogging to eradicate hogs from a given area as verified by game cam images.

The real shortcoming is that they can't control everything, but they control for more than random hunting. A trapped out area will be quickly re-invaded from surrounding areas. Plenty of rifle hunters claim similar success, LOL. I have properties where I may not kill every last hog, but I get them to stop coming and the property will go sterile for a while and then be probed or invaded every so often from surrounding areas where no hog control measures are employed. I have seen the claims numerous times where rifle hunter say they have "eradicated" the hogs from a given property. In reality, they have killed a bunch and hazed the rest to not want to try coming back for a while.

That seems to be the nature of the problem as it stands. The one benefit to the radio trapping is that they get chunks of the population with a given swing and it all looks and sounds really scientific, almost like a military operation with maps and planning and such. No doubt politicians eat it up. In the end, I don't know that it actually works better.

Oregon and Kansas have similar programs. They are waging a good battle against the hogs and may have slowed their incursion into the state, but from the results I see, they have only slowed the inevitable. On another forum, I got read the riot act about how well Oregon is doing with their plan of not hunting hogs, keeping the population in check, hogs have spread significantly across the state since the start of the program...meaning it isn't actually working that well.

Target-specific poison will likely be the only way to control for hogs and really beat down the population, but as we find over and over, poisoning efforts often come with dire consequences, often unanticipated by the lawmakers that give the go ahead.

Whatever a plan is, it must be instituted everywhere by everyone. This will violate landowner rights one way or another, or otherwise make a lot of people really made. So long as you have sanctuary land (habitat where hog control methods are not used), there remains a core to repopulate. Think of hogs as a cancer. If you don't get it all, it will come back.
                        You are correct on that point for sure.

I have talked to many folks in my area that swore up and down they killed every hog on their place only to have them tell me within 6 months they were just as bad as they once were.

Haven't heard of the trapping operations your talking about but then again I haven't reashearched them either, trapping does work to a point.

Bit it's just like hunting them if it's not full time every inch of ground 24/7 it will never stop them.

Year's ago the state of Louisiana put a bounty on nutra because their numbers had grown to high and they were destroying the marsh.

It didn't take long for the numbers state wide to be knocked down to almost non existent, their numbers are returning but thankfuly still low enough they aren't effecting the marsh like they once were.

If a bounty was to be placed on feral hogs I would bet that would get the numbers to drop very fast state wide, because every landowner and their brother would be out shooting them 24/7 to make that quick and easy money.

Comment

• Keef
                          Warrior
                          • Jun 2017

The idea has some merit, no doubt, but is doomed to fail because it is a piecemeal effort when dealing with actual feral hogs.
                          Agree 100%.

Comment

• TheGrimReaper
                            Unwashed
                            • Mar 2017

Missouri is operating on that belief as well. Hunting of feral hogs on public lands is no longer legal. They have indicated they are winning the war on feral hogs, but yet capture more and more each year.
                            TN has pulled the same crap

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                              Chieftain
                              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by TheGrimReaper View Post
                              TN has pulled the same crap
                              I am confused. This does not seem to be the case...
                              Get Wild Hog information from the State of Tennessee, Wildlife Resources Agency.

Comment

Working...
                              X