• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AR15gunner
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2018

3 deer out of 4 with Grendel

Well this year turned out to be pretty good hunting. First deer (nubby buck) was shot with the father-in-laws DPMS 6.8, shot in the neck DRT. Second through Fourth shot was with my Grendel 18"AA build. 2nd spine shot at 108 yards at about 40 degree uphill with follow up to the neck (broken rack buck). 3rd high shoulder 50 yards through somewhat thick timber mix DRT (big doe), and 4th bad rushed shot on my part back between the ribs and rear quarter high, no wasted meat dropped like a stone, then got up and went 35 yards with guts hanging out its side (little doe). The buck with spine shot actually didn't exit but deflected, clipped 1 lung and exited middle of ribs. Big doe both lungs completely destroyed, entrance 1/4 size hole with exit with what looks to be maybe a piece of the bullet (baby pea sized). Little doe entrance nickel size hole with silver dollar sized exit. All 3 Grendel shot deer were with factory Hornady 123 gr. SST's. Will try to post pictures if I can get them to resize, having a problem with this. P.S. Also missed 1 when I misjudged it hitting a small shooting lane on the run, shot to soon, oh well.
  • NeilVT79
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2018

Wow, you'll have a full freezer this year! How many tags do you get in your state?
    Here in VT we can only take one buck a year during rifle season and it cant be a spikehorn. I an take deer in archery and muzzleloader but am limited to 3 total for the year. I also hunt in NH and in that state its "one and done" meaning you can take only one deer for the year no matter what season.
    So far im doing good too, one big buck in NH, another nice buck here in VT and muzzleloader starts saturday.

The bucks I got I used the Hornady Black and they were both one shot kills. On one, the jacket left the core and did major damage to heart, lungs, and liver. The other shatered his hip, broke spine and severd major artery. Grendel is deadly to big game!

Comment

• AR15gunner
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2018

Neil I live in WI and the zone I hunt, I had 1 buck and 2 doe tags and my cousin had1 buck and 3 doe tags.

Comment

• AR15gunner
        Bloodstained
        • Sep 2018

Here are some pictures, sorry don't have any showing shot damage.

20181118_144835.jpg20181120_140204.jpg20181120_140238.jpg20181123_152302.jpg20181125_120716.jpg

Comment

• RMiller
          Warrior
          • Mar 2018

Thanks for sharing and congrats.

Comment

• Steve6902
            Unwashed
            • Nov 2018

Nice and congratulations. In Maryland where I hunt It's 33 deer. 10 does with each weapon; archery, ML and gun. We get 2 buck tags, and you can purchase a "bonus" buck stamp for $10 bucks allowing for a 3rd buck. All that for $47.50.

Comment

• AR15gunner
              Bloodstained
              • Sep 2018

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
              Nice and congratulations. In Maryland where I hunt It's 33 deer. 10 does with each weapon; archery, ML and gun. We get 2 buck tags, and you can purchase a "bonus" buck stamp for $10 bucks allowing for a 3rd buck. All that for $47.50.
              Hey Steve, I wish I would see enough deer to be able to use that many tags, and thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X