Clear All
  • Swampfox
    Warrior
    • Sep 2018

Hunting stock options

• imaguy3
    Warrior
    • Mar 2018

I like the MOE SL personally.. Gives a better cheekweld and is sleek and simple.

I used to have a B5 and it was great with a red dot but I don't care for it much with a scope when I was prone. Buddy has the CTR stock and it's terrible prone with a scope.

Hogue makes some cool ones but I haven't played with them as I likely wouldn't change. I had read reviews that facial hair can be uncomfortable with it.
    Last edited by imaguy3; 12-11-2018, 03:32 PM.

Comment

• RobertFL
      Warrior
      • Feb 2018

I have the Hogue adjustable on my 450BM rifle. I have a neatly trimmed beard (short) no problems so far. I just ordered a Hogue stock and grip for my 6.5 Grendel rifle.

Comment

• WanderingZero
        Bloodstained
        • Jul 2016

I'm using the MFT Minimalist stock on my build, which I put together with the goal of being a light, simple woods carbine. It's very lightweight but quite solid feeling, serves my needs well. Worked just fine for a quick shot on a nice buck that came in to my rattling this year, taken from a sitting position from 75-80 yards. Saw him moving in through the trees, rifle came up and he was in the scope, all over in a few seconds with no fuss. It might not be the best choice for more precision type shooting from prone or whatnot, but for this kind of hunting there's nothing about it that gets in the way.
        buck3640.jpg

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

It used to be, and maybe still is, that the Mission First Tactical Battlelink minimalist stock was the lightest adjustable buttstock around. It is what I am using.

I like these stocks, not because they are light, but because of the simple L shape. If I don't have a saddle back mounted to the stock, I like to use the lower arm of the L to carry my rifle sometimes.

They come in milspec and commercial buffer tube sizes. I have both and so have both types of stock and both fit very nicely on the buffer tubes with no wiggle.
          Kill a hog. Save the planet.
          My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• RobertFL
            Warrior
            • Feb 2018

The MFT stock does look good and well thought out, the web site says it weighs 5.8 oz. The Hogue web site says theirs weighs 8.3 oz, I use a QD sling and the Hogue has 3 QD points.

Comment

• NeilVT79
              Bloodstained
              • Oct 2018

WanderingZero, I'd say it worked great for you, and that is an awesome buck!

Swampfox, I agree with the group. MFT stock is very light and is very solid with no wiggle, also cones with qd cup.
              The only other carbine stock I like more is magpul CTR which is 3ozs heavier, more expensive, and you need to buy the qd cup separately. It is a real nice stock though.

Comment

• Swampfox
                Warrior
                • Sep 2018

I have the Magpul ACS stock on my HD lower n love it. Here is the pic of the Grendel and the 22LR with my hunting lower on them. The stock is a UGT Pro stock. I was thinking the MFT stock have the same cheek weld as the UTG pro. I have a 300 OSSM upper with a 20in SS barrel, and it is real nose heavy. I was thinking of a stock about 2oz heavier with a better cheek weld for one to help balance out the 300 OSSM, but still keep the other uppers lite.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Swampfox; 12-11-2018, 11:37 PM.

Comment

• Mad Charlie
                  Warrior
                  • May 2017

I am rather partial to my Magpul SL, I also have a CTR, but I like the SL more.

Comment

• howl
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2015

We like the MFT Minimalist for that role. The two things I don't like are the stock will hang up on a pocket and it really stinks for shooting off the bench. These are not big problems.

Comment

• gnumadic
                      Bloodstained
                      • Dec 2017

I'm using a BCM Gunfighter Mod-0 SOPMOD assembly, which is super solid (no wiggle) and comes with some additional cheek weld that's helpful for hunting with a scoped rifle. I really like it but have been considering switching to the Magpul UBR Gen 2...for the consistent and metal-less (i.e., not cold during hunting season) cheek weld. I'm not so much of a NTCH shooter, but the idea of the UBR intrigues me. I may try the UBR on next year's AR-10 build first before deciding to upgrade the BCM.
                      Last edited by gnumadic; 12-12-2018, 02:56 AM.

Comment

• meatsweats
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2018

I prefer the Magpul stocks. Either the CTR or SL variety. Both stocks lock up solid, absolutely no wiggle. The MFT I own is nice but has a tendency to get caught on clothing when trying to shoulder.
                        MS

Comment

• Recondo
                          Bloodstained
                          • Mar 2018

Magpul STR stock on mine, ambidextrous cheek weld / storage compartments and QD sling “port”. Also has the anti rattle lock. Like it so much I also updated my 5.56 to one. Like the sling on the side of the rifle for carrying and laying on my thighs with the sling pad under the rifle for tree stand hunting. Only drawback is conventional bow hangers in the tree don’t work very well. We try the longer ones next season. My 2cents.
                          Recondo

Comment

• ClintMorris
                            Unwashed
                            • Feb 2018

Comment

• snell
                              Bloodstained
                              • Oct 2018

I have the Luth AR and its quite light. Considering its adjustable length of pull it should be a good choice for a single rifle used in warm and cold climates (think varmint then deer).

Comment

Working...
                              X