• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

First 2 Hog Kills with Pulsar Trail Laser Range Finding Thermal Scope

I got a new optic to try out. It is the Pulsar Trail XP38 640 resolution thermal scope. The Trail series is their higher end series from Pulsar and the XP38 is 2nd to the XP50 that has a bit more native magnification. However, what makes the LRF scopes sort of cool is the built in laser range finder. Most everybody has trouble with range estimation through night optics and it is worse with thermal than night vision. So this is a nice feature to have. Over the weekend and before the scope went on the rifle, I used it to range houses in my neighborhood and compared the distances to a Bresser (golf) laser range finder and all readings were within 2 yards of each other. Cool.

I got the scope on the rifle, zeroed, and off to the field. I found ranging to be pretty convenient. IIRC, the older version that they had on the older Apex series was a bit more cumbersome to use and this version works quickly and well. Thinking back, the old version kept the estimated range displayed way too long and you don't get your crosshair back to shoot until that goes away. So I really like being able to get the range and having it revert back to the crosshair quickly in case I need to take a shot quickly.

Both hogs were dropped with near ear head shots and according to the rangefinder, at 123 and 84 yards.

The rifle I am using is a 16" Alexander Arms barrel upper and factory Hornady SST ammo. The ammo performed as expected, each shot over penetrating.

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • Bigs28
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2016

Very cool

Comment

• RMiller
      Warrior
      • Mar 2018

I never thought watching pork get shot would be so entertaining.

I was glued to the screen the whole time.

Great video, thanks for sharing.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Excellent video DNS, thanks for posting!

Comment

• meatsweats
          Warrior
          • Aug 2018

Absolutely enjoy watching your videos. Great work!
          MS

Comment

• Mad Charlie
            Warrior
            • May 2017

DNS, I am not seeing the link to the video...

Comment

• Les
              Warrior
              • Oct 2016

Very nice as usual.
              Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

How do you interface with the FLIR and LRF?

Is there a push button velcro'd on somewhere, or a tape switch, or do you push buttons on the box?
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Mad Charlie View Post
                  DNS, I am not seeing the link to the video...
                  I posted it and others are seeing it, so I have no idea why you are not.

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  How do you interface with the FLIR and LRF?

Is there a push button velcro'd on somewhere, or a tape switch, or do you push buttons on the box?
                  By FLIR, I assume you mean the thermal technology. The scope is Pulsar. The thermal core is Ulis.

The integration is multifold. One of the regular operating buttons on the scope are retasked to include laser ranging as one of its functions. The range finding reticle appears in the display so that the person knows where to aim to range. The box tacked on the side contains the LRF components (lenses, electronics). It is a factory addition and it watertight.

Comment

• brut28481
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2016

I have been waiting for reviews of the LRF integrated thermals from Pulsar & Atn (thor4). My concern is what you showed when ranging the hogs on the feeder, can you get accurate ranges when the animals are in brush or high grass? Have you had a chance to try that condition? We hunt a lot of high grass pastures and sometime have a challenge getting ranges with a handheld. What are your thoughts on Pulsar image quality vs Mk3? Anyone had a chance to look through the thor 4 640 LRF? As always, great vid!

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                      Chieftain
                      • Sep 2013

Laser Range Finders work the same regardless of platform or handheld unit. The measure the distance to what they reflect off of. So if you have critters in high grass, more than likely, you will be getting a reading on the high grass, just like with your handheld. Sometimes, it is worthwhile to measure landmarks closer than your target and farther than your target and interpolate an approximate distance of your target between the extremes. In mixed height vegetation, I may try to measure just off to the side of the hog instead of measuring the hog if I can see it is partially hidden behind grass.

I won't comment on ATN. I will say this about Pulsar. They have the best customer service in the thermal industry (I have dealt with 4 that typically deal with the civilian sector) and their thermal cores are made by ULIS, a French company that makes thermal cores for our European NATO allies.
                      Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 12-18-2018, 07:07 AM.

Comment

• Texas
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2016

Thanks again for the videos. I find that PIP feature very interesting.

Comment

Working...
                        X