• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

100 nbt grenade

Hopefully the pics work.

This is why I'm walking away from nbt bullets for good.

First deer with my 16 inch AA barreled grendel used the PF loaded 100 nbt.

Shot distance 60 yards +/- 5 yards.
    Whitetail nub buck maybe 60 pounds soaking wet, more so since it had just finished raining.

First shot was head on, deer had it's head down eating, I centered the reddot between it's shoulders but pulled my shot too the right a lil bit and bullet landed square on the left side front shoulder blade and exploded, damaging the cms and knocking the deer down.

After a few seconds the deer started to flop around trying to get up, so I got back in the gun by that time the deer and got it's self broadside and bout 5 feet left of the impact area from the first shot.

Took a second shot to the high shoulder and ended it.

Get it home and start skinning and find what really happened.

First shot exploded on shoulder blade, blowing the blade apart, destroying the lungs,liver and guts.

Second shoot entered huge hole under skin and exited out the other side leaving a half inch exit hole.

Lost the whole front quarter and half the backstrap.

Muzzle velocity of the PF load should be close too 2600 so figure at 60 yards it was going 2550 maybe closer too 2500 fps.

Wish I would have had my scoped grendel, i don't like taking young bucks but simply couldn't see the nubs.

Still a legal deer in LA but not my preferred type of deer would have rather it had been a doe like I first thought it was.

Only pic I can get to resize enough to load, pic of impact area of both shots.
    Attached Files
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Anouther pic
    Attached Files

Comment

• rabiddawg
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2013

That’s what happens when you don’t wipe the milk off their mouth before you choot m
      Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• A5BLASTER
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
        That’s what happens when you don’t wipe the milk off their mouth before you choot m
        Naww you know I blow da spots of tem yougins.

Figured with the reduced speed of the grendel the nbt wouldn't exploded like they do in my 243,270 and 308 but nope I was wrong seems 2500 fps is still to much.

Breaking out the ttsx again no more nbt for me ever.

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Were the Nosler BT 100 or 120 grain? With the velocity I figure 100 grains. A friend has used the 120 grain Nosler BT on Antelope but usually at longer distance with either his 24” AA 6.5 Grendel or 18” Brownell’s Grendel II. He really likes the 120 grain Nosler BT for how he hunts. The performance sounds kind of typical for 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip.

Comment

• BCHunter
            Warrior
            • Jan 2018

Rapid expanding bullet and hit the shoulder blade twice? I would say they did what they were designed to do, expand!

I would be aiming for behind the shoulder heart lung with this bullet, or base of head. Congradulations on the deer, considering the situation they worked.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by VASCAR2 View Post
              Were the Nosler BT 100 or 120 grain? With the velocity I figure 100 grains. A friend has used the 120 grain Nosler BT on Antelope but usually at longer distance with either his 24” AA 6.5 Grendel or 18” Brownell’s Grendel II. He really likes the 120 grain Nosler BT for how he hunts. The performance sounds kind of typical for 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip.
              100 grain

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by BCHunter View Post
                Rapid expanding bullet and hit the shoulder blade twice? I would say they did what they were designed to do, expand!

I would be aiming for behind the shoulder heart lung with this bullet, or base of head. Congradulations on the deer, considering the situation they worked.
                Well I only hit the shoulder blade once. The second shot went throw because there was no shoulder blade leavt.

The whole quarter fell off when we pulled the hide off.

Yes rapid expansion not grenade, I have used them many times in much faster calibers and now very well they exploded not expand.

Figured with the reduced velocity of grendel that they would expand yet hold together but nope even at around 2500 fps they still explode.

And yes I don't like heart lung shots I'm a cns type of shooter, that's how I know I pulled my first shot because I hit on the shoulder blade when I was aiming for the neck bone center of shoulders.

Going back to my trusty 100 ttsx and 127 LRX no more explode tips in any caliber for me.

Comment

• howl
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2015

That's good bullet performance for deer. Can't blame the bullet for where you put it. I've shot deer that size with a NBT out of a .300 WM with no meat loss, but I didn't put the bullet near anything I wanted to eat.

I recommend a pair of binoculars for identifying targets.

A short snout deer by itself is usually a button buck. They get run off by the does before breeding starts.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by howl View Post
                    That's good bullet performance for deer. Can't blame the bullet for where you put it. I've shot deer that size with a NBT out of a .300 WM with no meat loss, but I didn't put the bullet near anything I wanted to eat.

I recommend a pair of binoculars for identifying targets.

A short snout deer by itself is usually a button buck. They get run off by the does before breeding starts.
                    You and I have very different ideas on good performance.

If a bullet explodes and is marketed as a deer bullet it just failed miserably.

Now yes I did fail to put it where I wanted spit happens.

Ohh and that short snout thing is a myth even more so on southern deer.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

JD Jones' (SSK) preferred bullet for hunting was the 120gr NBT for 6.5 Grendel and I think 6.5 JDJ as well.

The 100gr NBT has always seemed like a great defensive round to me if you wanted to load one or two mags up with it.
                      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• RMiller
                        Warrior
                        • Mar 2018

Shoulder hits can often lead to damage like this. I try to not hit the shoulder but sometimes things happen.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by RMiller View Post
                          Shoulder hits can often lead to damage like this. I try to not hit the shoulder but sometimes things happen.
                          My preferred shot is high shoulder for the drt and the only time I have ever seen a shoulder damaged like this has been when useing the nbt.

It was so bad the shoulder fell off when we pulled the hide back while skinning it.

Was really hoping the reduced velocity of the grendel would make the nbt expand instead of explode like it does in much faster calibers but it doesn't appear to be the case at all.

Comment

• RMiller
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2018

If I was to aim for the shoulder I would go with the TTSX. I use TTSX bullets in my 25-06. 80's at 3690. 55 grain at 3790 in my 223 WSSM. This year I am going to try the 62 TSX in my 223 WSSM.

The 100 grain bullets are going pretty fast even in the Grendel.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by RMiller View Post
                              If I was to aim for the shoulder I would go with the TTSX. I use TTSX bullets in my 25-06. 80's at 3690. 55 grain at 3790 in my 223 WSSM. This year I am going to try the 62 TSX in my 223 WSSM.

The 100 grain bullets are going pretty fast even in the Grendel.
                              Yea I typically go with ttsx rounds but I had some PF loaded 100 nbt leavt so I figured I would try them, thinking the grendel would be slow enough for them not to explode.

PF says that load is doing 2700 fps from a 24 inch barrel, so that would put them going slower then I first thought from my 16 inch barrel, realistically they should have leavt the barrel close too 2500 fps and been at 2450 fps on impact.

If 2450 isn't slow enough to keep a not from grenading then I'm moving on from them and back to my copper rounds.

Comment

Working...
                              X