X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lazyengineer
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2019

Statistics do not lie. A population that agree's to be peaceably disarmed, is at greater risk of being rounded up and fed into ovens and working slave camps, or otherwise victimized by a totalitarian government. On an individual basis, considerably greater risk than being eaten by a bear.
    4x P100

Comment

• bj139
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by montana View Post
      If you have nerves of steel. I wouldn't have waited so long. Of course he could have missed too!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7k2svzGOPY
      I guess carrying a firearm would have value just for it's noise making ability.
      There are probably many times more bears scared off than actually shot in such situations.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

Like this?

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
        My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

Interesting to me that in both charges the grizz charged straight and then went into a flanking approach, into some timber/brush cover, to the left. To burst out of it right on top of its prey I wonder? Any comments from the more experienced on this would be welcome.
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• montana
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

I was hunting elk in one of my favorite semi remote, but productive areas in the Scapegoat Wilderness . While ascending to the top of a ridge, I came upon a mother Grizzly and cubs. I had plenty of time to back away, but I stood there staring at them like a dazed moron with his mouth open. When she spotted me, it all of a sudden occurred to me she may not be happy. While I slowly backed down with my 338 Win Mag pointed at her, she made clicking sounds while biting her teeth together and making grunting sounds of displeasure. It was early in the morning and she apparently never caught my sent. She came towards me similar to the same speed as the bear in the video DNS posted, but stopped and turned to my left out of my sight. If she was unsure of what I was or just caught my sent I do not know. I descended the opposite direction to my lower right and went about a 1/2 mile so I could climb back up and get into my favorite hunting area. As luck would have it I ran into her again, but this time I didn't stand there like an idiot watching her as I did the first time. Deciding not to push my luck I decided to climb back down to the trail and hike out to my truck and try my luck in a different area. This was the second time I watched a Grizzly dart off in one direction, yet turn up in the opposite.
            Last edited by montana; 03-07-2019, 01:20 AM.

Comment

• Djgrendel
              Warrior
              • Feb 2016

My experience with bears, has been what some would say boring. I'm ok with that. Best advice is to keep food away from camp. Bears are like dogs. They want what they smell. If you smell like lasagna, well, bears want lasagna too. Just think for yourself. Also, when approaching downed game in bear country. Don't assume you are the only one in witness. It doesn't matter to me if it's a black bear or grizzly. They will out sniff you most times. We all hear about stumbling into something. Regardless, just pack bear spray, and a firearm. And keep them in reach. No amount of preparation is going to make it a happy day when it does happen, but it might keep you alive.
              Yard work is not an excuse!

Comment

• montana
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

28795710_1706424252751573_3712884394024622971_n.png Montana is number 1 again
                Last edited by montana; 03-07-2019, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2015

Best way to survive a grizzly bear attack is to keep your butt out of where they live lmao.

Comment

• montana
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                    Best way to survive a grizzly bear attack is to keep your butt out of where they live lmao.
                    Timothy Treadwell and friend should have taken your advice!

Comment

Working...
                    X