• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roo_ster
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2016

Father/Daughter Hunt: Axis Doe in the Texas Hill Country

My 12YO daughter and I went on a parent/child axis doe & feral hog hunt organized by ghcof.org on a ranch in the Texas Hill Country run by internationaladventures.us . Both good outfits with guys who are great with the kiddos.

Saw no hogs, but a little hog sign. Turns out the county has a local non-profit with ~8 hog/predator hunters on the payroll there'bouts and the hogs, coyotes, foxes, and bobcats have a rough time of it.

This was supposed to be an easy hunt from a blind with a feeder out 100 yards or so. Turns out that the axis deer had no intention of hitting the feeders--but the sheep and out-of-season whitetails were throwing an ungulate convention. So it turned into a guided spot/stalk deal. Quite a bit more challenging, but my daughter was thrilled by the spot/stalk aspect and wants more of that sort of hunt. Thrilled as in, "I was shaking for the last part, when we were crawling on our bellies behind the bushes and I could not close my left eye because it was twitching."

She got her axis doe at 125 yards. This was her first big game or whatnot taken with a centerfire rifle.

Rifle:
    Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel 16" Incursion Complete Upper Assembly
    Palmetto State Armory Lower Receiver and Parts Kit
    Larue Tactical MBT-2S trigger
    Leupold VX-1 2-7x33 Scope on one-piece Warne mount+rings.
    Limbsaver recoil pad
    Patrol-type 2-point sling to ease toting the rifle at the ready

Objective was a rifle light enough for my wife & daughter, with minimal recoil, but with enough power to reliably take medium game with a boiler room shot. Rifle weighs less than 6lbs before optics & ammo. To get lighter, I think you have to go with pricey exotic materials/parts or SBR. No complaints with any of the parts, though I might look for a heavier buffer as it slings brass a ways. Even the PSA mil-spec polished trigger was decent, though not nearly as nice as the MBT-2S. Several hundred rounds down range, zero malfunctions.

Will have to start reloading again, as she likes to punch paper much more with this AR15/6.5G than with any of the .22LR rifles she has shot. Until then, thank the Lord for Wolf steel cased 6.5Grendel. After the serious shooting is done, I unleash her on the targets with a box or two of Wolf to do with as she pleases. I do think that the Wolf improved her shooting. Yes, not as accurate for more serious work, but just letting her get after it at her own pace, with however many rounds in the magazine helps get her comfy with the rifle. Only did some preliminary accuracy testing with Hornady SST & ELD and Federal Fusion. It liked them all, but the Federal Fusion looked the best given my cursory testing.

My daughter used Hornady 6.5Grendel 123gr SST ammo to take the axis doe. I had wanted to use the Federal Fusion ammo, but could not get enough of it quickly enough, but SST and ELD is common locally. Yeah, I am the guy who cleaned out the local gun shops of 6.5 Grendel last week. I need not have worried, the SST did a number on the axis doe. Entry wound looked good, exit wound was the size of a quarter. During cleaning, the lungs looked to be chum. Just a mess. She made the canonical shot behind the shoulder and there was no blood at the spot it was shot. Fifty yards on, there was plenty of blood, leading to the axis doe about 100 yards from the spot it was shot. Must have taken 50 yards to fill the cavity until it reached the wounds.

We both had a great time.

Daughter, Rifle, & Doe
    20190317_104347.jpg

Daughter, Doe, and Tracking Dog-In-Training
    20190317_104001_pup.jpg
    Regards,

roo_ster

"Drive Nature out with a pitchfork, she'll come right back, Victorious over your ignorant confident scorn."
    ----Horace
  • rabiddawg
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2013

That’s awesome!!

Thanks for sharing and keep her shooting! I cherish the one day a year( if I’m lucky) my daughter and I may hit the range. She is 24 now.
    Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• sundowner
      Chieftain
      • Nov 2017

She'll have life long memories of this hunt , congrats .

Comment

• Sinclair
        Warrior
        • Feb 2018

Bring them up in the way that they should go and they will go that way forever. I failed to do that with my children and I regret it every day. Did a little better with my Granddaughter, but nothing to brag about. Keep her outdoors and shooting and you both will have a lifetime of memories when you get old. Are there any youth shooting clubs in your area, just a thought?
        Last edited by Sinclair; 03-19-2019, 05:44 AM.
        "A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
        Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
        Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.

Comment

• OpFor1
          Warrior
          • Jan 2019

Aint nothing better than taking a kid outdoors.
          Hunt with your kids and you wont have to hunt for your kids.
          Congratulations to you both!

Comment

• kmon
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2015

Congrats on a great time and making lifetime memories. Good shooting to the young lady huntress.

She got some of the best eating wild game there is, enjoy it

Comment

• CaptnC
              Warrior
              • May 2018

Congrats on a cool hunt...bring back memories of the days I hunted with my daughter

Comment

• Mad Charlie
                Warrior
                • May 2017

Great looking crew there!
                Doggie, deer, daughter, and rifle, how can ya not luv it?

Comment

• just_john
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2012

Well done, roo_ster! Awesome moment for awesome memories!

Comment

• Headshot11
                    Unwashed
                    • Mar 2017

Nice Axis, make a rug out of the Axis doe skin for her.

Comment

• roo_ster
                      Bloodstained
                      • Nov 2016

Originally posted by kmon View Post
                      Congrats on a great time and making lifetime memories. Good shooting to the young lady huntress.

She got some of the best eating wild game there is, enjoy it
                      Shoulders off to be made into bratwurst, hams, backstraps, and tenderloins in the deep freeze.

Originally posted by Headshot11 View Post
                      Nice Axis, make a rug out of the Axis doe skin for her.
                      Rug is in process. Given we have dogs in the house, it will likely adorn the wall.

Originally posted by Mad Charlie View Post
                      Great looking crew there!
                      Doggie, deer, daughter, and rifle, how can ya not luv it?
                      Indeed.
                      Regards,

roo_ster

"Drive Nature out with a pitchfork, she'll come right back, Victorious over your ignorant confident scorn."
                      ----Horace

Comment

• Phendrickson
                        Unwashed
                        • Apr 2019

Hoping to do something similar with my two daughters some day. Awesome stuff!

Comment

• 41bear
                          Warrior
                          • Jan 2017

Outstanding, her smile says it all.
                          "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town

Comment

• Mac7
                            Bloodstained
                            • Feb 2017

Very cool. Sounds like a great time. Congrats

Comment

• roo_ster
                              Bloodstained
                              • Nov 2016

Whole family loves the bratwurst made from the shoulders.
                              Regards,

roo_ster

----Horace

Comment

Working...
                              X