• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • papapaul
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2019

Grendel vs. .243/250 savage etc.

Anytime I tell people about the 6.5 grendel I tell them that it will match factory .243 win ballistics with a 100 gr bullet, and 30-30 ballistics with a heavier bullet. When you Cronograph Federal or Remmington factory .243 100s it is an eye opener. If you go to a reloading table organized with velocities across the top left to right, powders on the left top to bottom, and charges across the the table in columns left to right, you see some loads will reach max velocities with one powder or two, then as you move left on the table, more powders are used, but give lower velocities. When you get to the column where all powers are listed, and none are indicated as hot loads, you are at the level of average factory loads. Most loading tables show 2700-2800 fps for 100 gr .243. And that's about what shows up in testing. Further, the BC on the .243 and the 6.5 are about the same.

As you go up in bullet weight with the Grendel you have to change the cartridge comparison. Although it doesn't always whip the other cartridges in performance, it stays right in there against many factory loads like 250 Savage, 257 Roberts, 30-30.

For years Ammo manufacturers would not say what powder they used. That is because they bought bulk powder on the open market and used what they could get. Not always the same stuff. Also they had no control over the specs and quality of the firearms to be used. So they stayed within the comfort zone. No prizes for hot loads, and most people never knew the difference.
  • Stinky Coyote
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

Comment

• roo_ster
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
      Wherever possible I explain the Grendel is every bit a .243 match for a lower recoil hunting option and in most cases it’s even better because of the 123 gr bullets. Like a modern 30-30...than goes triple the distance of the 30-30 no sweat. Possibly the love child of the 30-30/.243. ��
      This, with bells on it. Toss in an adjustable stock and you have a sweet rifle for smaller/younger folks out there with recoil sensitivity.

And manual of arms. Some of the newer "drilled out tube receivers with a tiny ejection ports" found in lower-priced rifles have PITA manual of arms. My wife just hated administrative tasks with the Ruger Compact American Rifle and got a case of Mauser Envy as I easily administered my CZ550 .375H&H. Small ejection port, flingy ejector, small & fiddley magazine relative to a mauser action with bottom metal. My daughter found the AR15 MoA easier than RCAR.
      Regards,

roo_ster

"Drive Nature out with a pitchfork, she'll come right back, Victorious over your ignorant confident scorn."
      ----Horace

Comment

Working...
      X