• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thegunman96
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2018

Hind shot with 129 Accubond LR from 12" Monster barrel

hind.png
    Shot at 80 yards. Lungs scattered all over the ground, made a 30 yard dash leaving blood 7 ft high on bushes. 129 Gr accubond lr with 22g of 4198 and federal ar match primers in Hornady brass.
    Last edited by thegunman96; 04-07-2019, 06:03 PM.
  • Arkhangel5
    Warrior
    • Apr 2016

Nice shot.

Stats on that load?

SY

Comment

• thegunman96
      Unwashed
      • Sep 2018

I haven't chrono tested yet. I chose 4198 because it's really fast, and in the short barrel it produces very little muzzle blast. It obviously works on terminal performance. I'll post chrono results when I get a chance.

Comment

• Warlock
        Bloodstained
        • Dec 2018

This is very interesting to me. I have been planning on shooting the 129gn LRAB because the lack of muzzle velocity of the 6.5 Grendel.

I have had nothing but good results from every other Accu-bond that I have loaded for the whole families hunting rifles. Now I feel like the 130gn Accu-bond is in the field of bullets I can use around here.

OP, are you happy with the damage the 130gn Accu-bond did?
        You only think you're alone

Comment

• Maddvaper
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2016

Holy Chit that's awesome. I been loading Benchmark for 123's in my 12" I might have to give that 4198 a look

Comment

• Bearcatrp
            Warrior
            • Apr 2018

Will have to check out 4198 too. Been using 8208 and 120 gr bullets. I see hodgdon and IMR versions. Burn rate chart shows them next to each other. Hope you can post chrono data. Am at 28 gr of 8208 for 120 gr bullets. Max load with 4198 is 22 gr. My 12 inch faxxon match barrel should like it. Just hate getting another powder though.

Comment

• thegunman96
              Unwashed
              • Sep 2018

Absolutely love it. It's the LR accubond, and I've seen the same critter shot with 250g 338 at 2750fps, the wounds look identical.

Comment

• Warlock
                Bloodstained
                • Dec 2018

Good to hear.

Thank you sir.
                You only think you're alone

Comment

• thegunman96
                  Unwashed
                  • Sep 2018

Originally posted by thegunman96 View Post
                  Absolutely love it. It's the LR accubond, and I've seen the same critter shot with 250g 338 at 2750fps, the wounds look identical.
                  Had to edit after looking at the bullet box. Don't know why I had 130g stuck in my head. It is indeed 129g ABLR.

Comment

• Jeepster18_88
                    Warrior
                    • Feb 2019

Very interesting! All I see is that you MUST use the slowest powders available in the Grendel. I've heard that about other cartridges throughout the years and found that I could get great accuracy, adequate velocity, and reliable performance while reducing recoil and muzzle blast by going to a faster powder than the popular loads. My wife preferred a load with 4895 over 4350 or 4831 even though the velocity was approximately the same in her 243win.

I had asked for info on using Reloder 7, which is close to the same burn rate as 4198, but is far more accurate in the 7.62x39. I was immediately shot down and told that you can't use these fast powders in the Grendel. Glad to see someone else that thinks the way I do. Low light and huge muzzle flash suck, especially with night vision. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

• thegunman96
                      Unwashed
                      • Sep 2018

Yep. It absolutely works in the 12" monster barrel from Faxon. I will be sure to post velocity as soon as I get to test. As far as real world effectiveness, it is deadly and shoots to the exact same point of impact at 100 yards as factory Hornady 123SST.

Comment

• sundowner
                        Chieftain
                        • Nov 2017

Very interesting , thanks for the info .

Comment

• 65Whelen
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2014

Nice shot, nice set-up. Gotta love that 129 ABLR. Congrats.

Comment

Working...
                          X