• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Alexander Arms Hornady SST 129 gr. Ammo: Results from 13 Hogs

Here is a summary video of the results of using Alexander Arms' Hornady SST 129 gr. ammo on hogs. I included the basic results from each kill, summarizing the information that I gleaned at the time. This is not a scientific survey, but simply observational. My impressions are that this ammo seems to work well. It penetrates well. In fact, I had no bullets recovered from any of the broadside shots, not that most of these hogs were particularly huge. Of the 3 bullets that did not exit the hogs, all three were from lengthwise shots and given that the first one ended up in the intestines and was not recovered for examination, I started making the lengthwise shots in the other direction. ;-)

From what I could discern, the bullets do expand and unlike the much faster Hornady SST 123 gr. ammo, don't seem to come apart violently, but instead seem to expand in a more controlled manner. As such, these bullets are not shedding as much material as the 123s either.

One hog shot was a twofer with a through and through on the first hog and only the jacket embedding itself in the second hog. No clue as to where the core ended up, but metal detection did not find it in either hog.

The only two downsides that I see to this ammo is that I don't personally care for the lower velocity (just 2275 fps from my 18" barrel) or the price of the ammo. However, I think it performs just fine.

I would conjecture that handloaded Hornady SST 129 gr. bullets with more velocity might produce fuller expansion, but that may come with increased/accelerated loss of bullet weight into animal tissue.

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • HuntTXhogs
    Warrior
    • Jan 2014

EXCELLENT report

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

Greatly appreciate the info and the time you take to report!
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• LongPoke
        Unwashed
        • Sep 2018

What's the price per round for this ammo? And did you put it on paper at 100 yards to see how it groups?
        Last edited by LongPoke; 05-02-2019, 05:31 PM.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2013

As noted in the video, a box of the ammo was given to me, but from what I have seen online, it is pretty pricey. Midway has it for $33 for a box of 20.

With only 20 rounds, I shot 3 shots at a 2x2" thermal target (chem. warmer) and shot ~1.25" group at 100 yards. I was on the chem warmer and did not try to refine anything to see if it would shoot better than that.

Comment

• sundowner
            Chieftain
            • Nov 2017

Another great video and info , thanks .

Comment

• Djgrendel
              Warrior
              • Feb 2016

I like the 129 sst. It works great from my 23" barrel. I have seen good expansion and penetration on game out to approx 300 yards. Nice work DNS
              Yard work is not an excuse!

Comment

• Les
                Warrior
                • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                Here is a summary video of the results of using Alexander Arms' Hornady SST 129 gr. ammo on hogs. I included the basic results from each kill, summarizing the information that I gleaned at the time. This is not a scientific survey, but simply observational. My impressions are that this ammo seems to work well. It penetrates well. In fact, I had no bullets recovered from any of the broadside shots, not that most of these hogs were particularly huge. Of the 3 bullets that did not exit the hogs, all three were from lengthwise shots and given that the first one ended up in the intestines and was not recovered for examination, I started making the lengthwise shots in the other direction. ;-)

From what I could discern, the bullets do expand and unlike the much faster Hornady SST 123 gr. ammo, don't seem to come apart violently, but instead seem to expand in a more controlled manner. As such, these bullets are not shedding as much material as the 123s either.

One hog shot was a twofer with a through and through on the first hog and only the jacket embedding itself in the second hog. No clue as to where the core ended up, but metal detection did not find it in either hog.

The only two downsides that I see to this ammo is that I don't personally care for the lower velocity (just 2275 fps from my 18" barrel) or the price of the ammo. However, I think it performs just fine.

I would conjecture that handloaded Hornady SST 129 gr. bullets with more velocity might produce fuller expansion, but that may come with increased/accelerated loss of bullet weight into animal tissue.

I wonder what would happen if the velocity was reduced on the 123 gr SST to that of the 129gr. bullet? Not so violent expansion/separation and better penetration? BTW, nice job, always appreciate your videos and commentary.
                Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                  Chieftain
                  • Sep 2013

I don't know. I can't say that I really ever needed better penetration with Hornady SST 123 gr. as it tended to over penetrate hogs up to 200 lbs almost all the time and up to 225 lb most of the time with broadside shots.

It may hold together better and that certainly might be a real bonus for many hunters.

Comment

• CaptnC
                    Warrior
                    • May 2018

I have always wondered where they put the powder with that much bullet in the case. That velocity doesn't seem out of line to me. I would fear over pressuring the platform by pushing it too hard!

I really need to spring for Quick Load program. It gives you a general idea where you are pressure wise.

Very good video...lots of good info!

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                      I don't know. I can't say that I really ever needed better penetration with Hornady SST 123 gr. as it tended to over penetrate hogs up to 200 lbs almost all the time and up to 225 lb most of the time with broadside shots.

It may hold together better and that certainly might be a real bonus for many hunters.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                        Chieftain
                        • Sep 2013

Sounds like the eld-m would be the ideal choice. Worked wonders on a moose for me, knew it would.
                        You can find advocates for the use of just about any sort of bullet, particularly when very limited examples. I tried ELD-M and was not happy with the performance on hogs, feeling that it was inferior to Hornady SST 123 gr. factory ammo and Federal Speer TNT 90 gr. factory ammo. Both of those were inferior to Precision Firearms' loaded Berger VLD-Hunting 130 gr. that I tried for a while, but it costs twice as much.

The sectional density on the 123 gr. ELD-M matches the 123 gr. SST and is less than the 129 gr. SST. Of course, the 123s would match because they are the same weight and diameter.
                        Sectional Density
                        ELD-M 123 gr. .252
                        SST 123 gr. .252
                        SST 129 gr. .264

However, I don't think the original sectional density really matters all that much once the bullet starts deforming and/or coming apart.

Comment

• Armadillo66
                          Bloodstained
                          • Dec 2017

I do so wish it was safe to run that bullet 2500 fps muzzle out of an 18" barrel. Or gee maybe Nosler starts making that projectile in 125gr model

Comment

Working...
                          X