• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Double Naught Spy
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2013

Sierra TMK 107 Recovered from 230 lb Boar

Things started off rough with this hunt. I spent most of my scouting and setup time wrangling wayward calves for the rancher, but the fates were kind to me and gifted me a nice big boar at a reasonable hour.

While they were kind, strings were attached. The boar came in from downwind and behind me. I sat still and watched the boar, hoping he would pass. I wasn't in a position to turn around to shoot without making noise. So when he seemed wind me and started to leave, I brought my gun around and the noise I made seemed to stop him, sort of like barking at a coyote will sometimes stop a coyote. He turned to see what made the noise about the time I got lined up on him.

As he was a bigger-sized boar, I went ahead and used him for additional ballistic testing to see how the Sierra TMK 107 gr. ammo would perform.

The first shot was a head shot. Head shots are a mixed bag when it comes to bullets. The hogs virtually always go down, but whether the bullet penetrates all the way through or now seems to vary greatly. The TMK penetrated several layers of bone before the final fragments came to rest under the skin on the opposite side neck.

The 2nd and 3rd shots were both body shots. The bullet went through the shield just fine and seemed to open up inside of the shield and making a largish permanent wound cavity, then taper off with a finger diameter (my index finger diameter, to be exact) continuing through to the opposite side where the remaining fragments were stop just inside the shield in the muscle or actually in the shield.

All in all, the bullets seem to perform okay. Based on my initial results, I think there are better choices, but I think this is certainly a huntable bullet for the Grendel, if you don't mind a lot of fragmentation.

Kill a hog. Save the planet.
    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Good video DNS thanks for posting. I think the 107 grain SMK might make a decent self defense round where perforated targets might be a concern. I think in a hunting application a cannelure might help but this is a target bullet and is not designed for hunting. Considering it is a target bullet it turned in decent performance on the big hog. My initial impression on the TMK in hunting performance is it might produce less consistent results compared to a dedicated hunting bullet.

Comment

• CJW
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2019

Great report DNS, very interesting.

Comment

• sundowner
        Chieftain
        • Nov 2017

Great video and info on the TMK 107gr

Comment

• A5BLASTER
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2015

Good vid as always DNS. That's what I figured would happen useing that bullet on a head shot. Kind of like a lil brainpain grenade lol.

Comment

Working...
          X