• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • diddlyv
    Warrior
    • Aug 2016

What are you folks using for hogs

What are the hot tip bullets for hogs these days? SST, Sierra's, Non Lead like lehigh defense and barneszz?
    What are you guys using and how do they work??
    Queen of Battle
    Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

85 grain maker trex, 120 fusion, 123 eld-m, 127 lrx, 100 grain wolf fmj.

Don't really much care what bullet I use, long as my barrel shoots it good and the hog dies, that's good enough for me.

I just want all of them to die.

Comment

• gwtx
      Warrior
      • Feb 2019

"I just want all of them to die." +1
      When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by diddlyv View Post
        What are the hot tip bullets for hogs these days? SST, Sierra's, Non Lead like lehigh defense and barneszz?
        What are you guys using and how do they work??
        Anything can work if you do your job within its parameters. So are you planning on eating the hogs or just killing them?
        Kill a hog. Save the planet.
        My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• diddlyv
          Warrior
          • Aug 2016

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
          Anything can work if you do your job within its parameters. So are you planning on eating the hogs or just killing them?
          Don't kill anything I don't want to eat.
          That is the main reason I don't hunt Javalina here in AZ.
          Will make an exception for Prarie Dogs, Wood Chucks or Coyotes if I ever decide to start hunting them
          Have 123 SST, Lehigh 95 gr CC in house 110 CC inbound and also 129 ABLR in the reloading room.
          Queen of Battle
          Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• Bigs28
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2016

I used the 110g Lehigh defense controlled chaos. They are very accurate out of my rifle but i won't hunt with them again. Since they are designed to fragment they don't punch through and leave a blood trail if you aim for vitals. I switched to 110g trex but this will be my first season hunting with them so i can't recommend them yet.

Comment

• Gusmeister
              Warrior
              • May 2017

Between my brother's and my 20" AR Grendel's we have put down a dozen or so hogs. In all cases we used the 123gr SST bullet. No long range shots though. The SST has worked well in all cases.

IMG_9252.JPG

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by diddlyv View Post
                Don't kill anything I don't want to eat.
                That is the main reason I don't hunt Javalina here in AZ.
                Will make an exception for Prarie Dogs, Wood Chucks or Coyotes if I ever decide to start hunting them
                Have 123 SST, Lehigh 95 gr CC in house 110 CC inbound and also 129 ABLR in the reloading room.
                Of those choices and given, what Bigs28 said, and that you are eating the hogs, I would suggest 129 gr. ABLR. The SST will tend to fragment as well and you end up with bits of lead in the meat surrounding the wound area and so you are apt to lose a lot more meat as a result.
                Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• Gusmeister
                  Warrior
                  • May 2017

Originally posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
                  Of those choices and given, what Bigs28 said, and that you are eating the hogs, I would suggest 129 gr. ABLR. The SST will tend to fragment as well and you end up with bits of lead in the meat surrounding the wound area and so you are apt to lose a lot more meat as a result.
                  DNS... thank you for mentioning penetration and bullets coming apart. The 123gr SST typically (under 100 yards) has enough power to enter one side of a 120 lb hogs chest and come to rest just under the skin on the opposite side. This means we recover the occasional bullet. Recovered bullets weigh in at 90 gr or a bit less. My hog pictured above showed the most penetration I've seen with the SST bullet. Not quite quartering away I shot just inside the right shoulder (missing it) and the bullets (2 fast shots) came out the opposite side buttock. Though not available in 6.5mm we have found the Hornady FTX bullet gives half again more penetration with similar size bullet holes.

As an aside, one of our guys shot hogs with 110gr Barnes tipped bullets in his 300 BLK pistol this year and got excellent results.

Comment

• diddlyv
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2016

Sounds like the ABLR may be my best bet. I might have a few Barns TSX out in the garage, not home right now to check. I also have a bunch of the American Gunner stuff that shoots pretty well but don't trust it as a hunting round.
                    May be Heresy but today a complete .458 socom upper arrived. Think trapdoor springfield AR.
                    Queen of Battle
                    Follow Me

Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS

Comment

• gwtx
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2019

I got started with 6.5 grendel 123 SST's. They shoot better than me(sub moa at 50 & 100yds), and they kill well when I hit where I'm aiming. I have some 123 ELD-M's. They load and shoot the same as the sst, I just haven't used them on a hog yet.
                      I loaded and shot a couple speer 120 gold dots with same powder load as the others(27.5 AR Comp). They impact right on windage and about 1" higher than the hornady bullets. I use both hornady and starline brass. Both seem fine. CCI 450 primers.
                      I don't eat the hogs, I'm just gettin even for the beating I take every time I have to shred/mow pastures they have rooted up.
                      I know guys that only use 22 LR shots to the head successfully. I may switch to the gold dots when I run out of the sst's and eld's. I try to shoot as economically as I can. Social Security(what a joke) doesn't go too far these days.
                      When a man's ways please the Lord, He makes even his enemies to be at peace with him.

Comment

• SightedIn
                        Warrior
                        • Jun 2016

What i've been doing for a while now is having a 90tnt first fed out of the mag, and an SST second.
                        Within 200 yards i can make a clean headhsot with the tnt. If the animal is past 200 yards and not moving in, i'll rack out the tnt and fire with the SST for a body shot. You can do it vice versa as well whatever works for the type of hunt you think (or know) you'll be having

Comment

Working...
                        X